First mod: pulsar, or wait and upgrade others first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
So I've looked on here and it's seems most people agree that the first mod you should do performance wise is a tune. I plan on buying a tune when I pass out of warranty at 5yr/60k but right now I have a 2019 ram classic at 23k miles. I will probably put about 15k miles a year on it so I have a little while until I go out of warranty. My question is would it be worth while to buy a pulsar for the remainder of my warranty and then go and buy another kind if it doesn't yet support custom tunes, or would I be better off to do other performance upgrades and just hold off on a tune for now? Does anyone have a pulsar and have any complaints? My other two ideas would be an exhaust or CAI. I plan on doing all three (or two if it's not worth it) within the year but which did you guys notice the most? Are there any other performance upgrades I should do besides those first? I have a 3.21 gear set but I dont plan on changing that until I get larger tires and a mild lift put on and see if I feel the need for that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are your goals and/or expectations from the truck?
Jay

Machoramdysavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used both. Pulsar is a heck of a good bang for the buck. You will just have to sell it off when you decide to get serious doing stuff. It’s great for a stock vehicle tho.
I will make a video someday of a pull with the 91 diablo w/trans tune vs the pulsar level 8 I filmed a while back.
The diablo 91 tune 0-60 time is 5.6 seconds on my truck. The pulsar level 8 0-60 was a full second slower, which was still close to a second quicker than stock. Most of the gain in the diablo is in the trans tune. I’ll get a custom tune next and will be able to compare all.
Gas mileage got better with pulsar,
Mileage got even better with 91 diablo, also rpms are lower by a couple hundred when cruising down highway from what I noticed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
What are your goals and/or expectations from the truck?
Jay
Well initially I'd just like the most I can get out of my truck without voiding the warranty. After that I'll see what I can think of. I've got my initial plans posted in another thread. Right now I just don't know where to start, because while I'm going to spend the money anyways, I'd like to prioritize them based off what I get back. I have a single side out exhaust so I know that a cat back dual will be noticable (and more fun to open up the throttle too)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want to keep your warranty intact, then I think your idea of an exhaust and a CAI might be a good idea, although the stock intake system does a pretty good job. The CAI system that will provide the most performance gain is the Vararam. If you install a CAI and are forcing more air in you will also want to invest in a more free flowing muffler such as a Magnaflow or something similar. One other thing you might consider is a Pedal Commander. It will take all the "lag" out of your acceleration and give you a much more responsive feel. You will not gain any hp or torque however. It is more of a "fun" factor to many of us--it makes your truck more fun to drive. Another mod you might consider is a catch can. It will keep a lot of crap out of your engine and will keep your throttle body cleaner. These are a few initial things you can do to make your truck a little more responsive. The two biggest bang for the buck mods are the tuner and a set of long tube headers however you may run into some warranty problems with those mods.
Jay

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Okay cool I was actually looking at the s&b intake over the varram, but I'll definately take a second look at it. And yeah I was gonna wait on headers but I was actually leaning more towards the tuned length over the long tubes just so I didn't lose too much on the low end especially since I'm not really sold on changing the gear ratio and when I upsize the tires it I dont want it to be a dog down low. Do you happen to know about the tuned length vs long tube. I was planning on doing a little research here soon, but experience will tell more than a stat sheet printed by the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Pedal commander is on my list as well but it's just not at the top of my list. It will probably be the next thing after these upgrades.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have not had any experience with the "shorty" headers. Is your truck a 4x4?
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might do some research regarding your possible gear swap. I not sure you will like what you find---
Jay

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
You might do some research regarding your possible gear swap. I not sure you will like what you find---
Jay
Yeah that's why I'm not sold on regearing the truck because I need a whole new front dif and then regear the rear from what I can tell

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
That's awesome, thank you, and have you had any customer complaints on the pulsar?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome from another Classic owner.
I love the Pedal Commander, but the Pulsar can pretty much do both, add power 6-8 and help off throttle response. So two birds with one stone.
If you order the Pulsar, get part # 32453, I accidently got the 32451, for 15-18

But simple, the Pedal Commander is easy to install, makes it fun to drive!

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
I love the Pedal Commander, but the Pulsar can pretty much do both, add power 6-8 and help off throttle response. So two birds with one stone.
If you order the Pulsar, get part # 32453, I accidently got the 32451, for 15-18

I've heard of people running both and I'm sure I will eventually just to have more control over the throttle sensitivity but I was thinking the pulsar has a little bit of throttle improvement as well so it would cover a lot more. I wish the pulsar would get custom tune support already.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine

Is the module actually different for a 19 classic than a 15-18? I could understand a new body style 19 but not the classic

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yes Its different per Edge

Machoramdysavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the module actually different for a 19 classic than a 15-18? I could understand a new body style 19 but not the classic

I’ve used same pulsar unit on 18’ and 19’ classic with no issues.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I’ve used same pulsar unit on 18’ and 19’ classic with no issues.
really, Edge guy stated it wouldn't....I had one and sold it, due to them stating it wouldn't work. :(

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
I cant imagine they changed the pcm for the classic or implimented a drastically different software than 2018 so that's surprising but I guess they could just be telling you that to to sell another one or there could be minor programming differences

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye