First mod: pulsar, or wait and upgrade others first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The 2 best performance upgrades for the 8sp trucks are custom tuning and longtube headers. You will not lose any low end power with a 1 3/4" longtube header setup. We have tested these at the dragstrip and seen faster 60' times with the longtubes over both the stock manifolds and shorties. Longtubes give us about 25-30hp/tq where shorties give us 8-12hp/tq.

As for tuning, there is no replacement for actual custom tuning. Custom tuning is worth 30-35hp, but the Pulsar will buy you some time though with a 15-20hp increase and much quicker throttle response. It does not allow you to remove the speed limiter or tune anything in the transmission though like you get from actual custom tuning.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Have either of you guys experienced the throttle surging issue or is that something they resolved?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gwfillmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve heard that the Pulsar doesn’t effect the warranty since it doesn’t change anything....

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have either of you guys experienced the throttle surging issue or is that something they resolved?

I have not....

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2cts worth...Leave trk stock and buy mods one at a time....
The cai will be of mo real use till your zippin along at almost tripple digits..Yes your intake temps will be cooler but doubt you see any gains..
Catback again is barely worth the expence for little gains...

I would go with a diablo for the most gains without additional mods...

I would go with tuner/cai/full ex and tb/180 stat with custom tune and install all the same time to see the full benifits..

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
This is a great reference for some of the common misconceptions I see every day on forums. Obviously you’d like to see closer to 1:1 on gearing, but a lot of guys can’t keep these 8 speeds from downshifting so it’s at least consistent.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard of people running both and I'm sure I will eventually just to have more control over the throttle sensitivity but I was thinking the pulsar has a little bit of throttle improvement as well so it would cover a lot more. I wish the pulsar would get custom tune support already.

With a trinity you get a peddle commander type option AND custom tunable when ready...1 less thing to go wrong and less to buy,but a diablo set up aint gonna be cheap..

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
With a trinity you get a peddle commander type option AND custom tunable when ready...1 less thing to go wrong and less to buy,but a diablo set up aint gonna be cheap..
have they announced support for custom tunes yet

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have yet to look into whats doin for the 19's but with the diablo you will have more options for tuneing as you add options down the road..

Im poor so im still driveing a 16 sport with only 25000 mi on it yet..lol

Only have a tb and tuner done yet but have a 180 stat waiting (clutch fan removed).....Wanted to do more but had a cpl basement leaks this yr and now i gotta spend $25-$35 grand to rebuild my basement and have weeping tile work done for yard drainage.....So all ill get now for awhile is a tune soon..

Tulet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a Pulsar on my 2018 Longhorn. Easy to install, feel the power difference right away. I also put in the CS2 module for control and diagnostics. It also lets you put in custom tire sizes, my new shoes are 35"s. I then added a K & N CAI. Another easy installation. Another increase in HP. The growl from the throttle is as designed, deep and hearty. Side not is that 2 days after installation, a mouse chewed through a few O2 sensor wires and used the battery box cover as nesting material under the manifold cover. I have it rigged for now, but will probably need a complete wiring harness. $750 or so for the harness. Dang Mouse!!!

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a great reference for some of the common misconceptions I see every day on forums. Obviously you’d like to see closer to 1:1 on gearing, but a lot of guys can’t keep these 8 speeds from downshifting so it’s at least consistent.

Im shocked that they pulled that big of a # just on a k&n cai..

Im no designer or nothin but all i see thats different is a smooth pipe from tb to air box,WHICH is left wide open during a dyno run....Just that alone opens up a less restricted volume of cooler air...

Based on that i would like to believe that the better cai systems would pull bigger #'s....

Ill not spend big coin on a cai when the dyi mod is out there to try which should do same thing or better..

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Great, that's the one I had, they said wouldn't work.
so I did receive a reply from edge support about which unit I should purchase for a 19 classic, and if they still anticipate that custom tuning will later become available for the pulsar (which was really my main reason for contacting them) they confirmed that a 19 classic should use a 32453 Pulsar module... and that's all they said. I suspect the development of custom tuning support may not be going as smoothly as they anticipated a year ago as they have yet to release any new information on the status of this in the past year and because they just completely ignored any questions I asked about it. I responded solely about the future support of custom tunes and will update again if I receive a response lol.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Interesting

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
So this morning, I received a response from edge support about my questions regarding custom tuning for the edge pulsar and I was told that "at this time no custom tuning abilities are planned to be offered". Anyone that was planning on purchasing this unit for these purposes should probably save their money and just go for a full tuner. If you were purchasing this unit fully aware of what it currently offered but hopeful for the custom tuning in the future, it's a bit of a let down but it still sounds like it's better than nothing. I'll probably still make this my first mod then replace when my warranty is up.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this morning, I received a response from edge support about my questions regarding custom tuning for the edge pulsar and I was told that "at this time no custom tuning abilities are planned to be offered". Anyone that was planning on purchasing this unit for these purposes should probably save their money and just go for a full tuner. If you were purchasing this unit fully aware of what it currently offered but hopeful for the custom tuning in the future, it's a bit of a let down but it still sounds like it's better than nothing. I'll probably still make this my first mod then replace when my warranty is up.

I just bought a pulsar off of another member and it’s on the way. If you want to hang tight for a few more days I’ll give you another review on it. I have 4 years of warranty left so this is the most I can do now.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a pulsar off of another member and it’s on the way. If you want to hang tight for a few more days I’ll give you another review on it. I have 4 years of warranty left so this is the most I can do now.
I got it in today. It’s pretty damn good. It works like it should and on performance mode with 91 it’s very responsive and has a noticeable power improvement :)