First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run my 2018 between 4,000 - 5,000 on synthetic oil.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I change the oil on my 17 RAM 1500 5.7 about every 7,000 miles. I have 75,000 miles on my RAM and its just 38 months old from when we bought it new on OCT. 11tth 2017. I use Pennzoil synthetic . The first oild change was done at 3,000 miles.

I've had 2 3.7 RAM trucks and they gave me no issues. I needed more torque than 269 Lbs, as towing anything more that a pretty light trailer will keep you in the slow lane while big trucks pass you by on the hills. I recently saw a guy with 627,000 miles on a 3.6! That has to be a record! I hva enoticed that around 100 K it seems the weakest parts can fail. so treat it well.

I bought the Chrysler extended warranty max care and its good for 84 months after delivery unlimited mileage. I have used it twice, my gas tank broke inside and my starter when out, I expect as we live in a remote area on rough gravel roads there will be more items that will need replaced.

Good luck with your new RAM!

Last edited:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also be cautious of the upsales.
Dealer wanted to do a differential service when i first got it (used) i told them the book and the app disagree. They claimed i live in zone A. Whatever that means.

Side note, diffy went out before 100k.
Dammit Ram!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
how many years of rams have been recalled for differentials over the last 10-15 years? I just don't understand why something that has worked for decades has to be constantly changed. They are even recalling 2018-19 rams over their diffs, it is a bad joke at how bad fca is. This recall, apparently they couldnt fill that damn diffs with fluid from the factory. Yeah, they sold me a truck, but they will never touch my truck.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also this was an open dif. My 3 jeeps had close to and over 200k miles with limited slips and never failed .
Hell, none my cars have failed.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Synthetics are good to go one year or 10k which ever comes first. Experience based on 5 vehicles, all over 200k miles when I traded/sold them. My mechanic said my engines always look and sound great. First oil change: 5k max.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at 3,600 miles on my 2020 1500 but the oil service indicator on the dash says it's still at 60%. Just curious about how often do you change your oil. Do you do it every 3,000ish miles or go by the service indicator?
5K miles or 6 months which evert happens first, period.....

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just saw that you have the V-6. I was going comment that if you had the Hemi in the Gen 5 truck, best of luck changing the oil filter. A team of engineers from around the globe must have spent months trying to find the worse possibly location for the Hemi's oil filter!

The V-6 should be a cake walk by comparison.

Alex38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I change mine according to the OLM using full synthetic oil. Mine typically goes off at 7-8k miles.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All new vehicles in my garage, first oil change @1,000 miles. This gets OEM "break-in" oil out. Then again @2500. This gets rid of any residual oem oil and any break-in metal that's in the oil. Then 5k. And then 10k. At 10k I switch to full synthetic. And then every 10k. Synthetic is good for at least that. My first few might be overkill, but I want to get that oem "break-in" oil out of there (and any residual will come out at second oil change).

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
UPDATE - So I took the truck in for it's first oil change recently. It had about 4,000 miles on it. The onboard display said it still has 50% life remaining. The oil change guy recommended that I wait till the computer says it time. He said the OEM break-in oil needs to be in there for at least around 7,000 miles and should not be replaced too early. He said the break-in oil is designed to deal with al the little metal particulates that accumulate as the engine is settling in. The owner's manual says to follow the computer as well. I did not get the oil changed and will follow the OBC.

Here's what the owner's manual says:
"The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. " Not exactly sure what that means or if the original oil is much different than regular oil.

Last edited:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt think too much about it.
It should be well broken in by now.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do 4 to 5000 miles and I use redline 5w30 burla on this forum recommended redline and thats all I use

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
UPDATE - So I took the truck in for it's first oil change recently. It had about 4,000 miles on it. The onboard display said it still has 50% life remaining. The oil change guy recommended that I wait till the computer says it time. He said the OEM break-in oil needs to be in there for at least around 7,000 miles and should not be replaced too early. He said the break-in oil is designed to deal with al the little metal particulates that accumulate as the engine is settling in. The owner's manual says to follow the computer as well. I did not get the oil changed and will follow the OBC.

Here's what the owner's manual says:
"The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. " Not exactly sure what that means or if the original oil is much different than regular oil.

I think you've been misled and we're on the right track with a 4k oil change

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did my first oil change at 5000 km's where I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Since then I change the oil and dump my catch can every 10,000 km's. No need for window stickers because it's easy to keep track using the odometer.

Just a side note, until my truck reached 60 000 km's, I would still change the oil filter every 5000 km's and just top the oil up if I was between oil changes. I'm sure this was not necessary but for $15 every few months, it gave me piece of mind.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth, I've been wondering this too on my 1500 that just hit 3,000 miles. I had a 2009, 2010 and 2012 Silverado (one was a Sierra) here at work. We changed the oil early as many places recommend. All 3 needed top end rebuilds as they were consuming oil badly at 20-30,000 miles. Dealer rebuilt them all and one of the reasons that GM came up with is that these trucks (and literally tens of thousands of others) had early oil changes and babied break in periods that didn't allow the engine to reach required temps to seat all of the seals. Oil technology is light years from where it was years ago and GM obviously didn't account for that when it designed those 5.3s. I will probably never allow any of my vehicles to go the full life of the oil, but I think I'm going to stick it out as close to maybe 6k this first time as I can just to follow their recommendations.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil is cheap, motor rebuilding isn't.

No way I would follow the OLM.

I wouldn't run any oil over 6000 miles and I wouldn't run dino oil over 4000 miles.

There is also no such thing as break in oil in new vehicles. It will be dino MOPAR (Pennzoil) 5W20 in your 3.6.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat