First Oil Change Coming Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got a 1500 mile trip coming up, so even though I'm only at 4000 miles I'm changing it. Local mech doesn't carry Pennzoil UP, so since my manual says,

"We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer
Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark."

I'm going with Mobil 1, as it has the API donut trademark.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do the Blackstone analysis. I wish I had done it earlier, to establish the base results. I have used PUP 0w40 in my 2018 2500 6.4. If you read through the Blackstone thread in 4th gen there are some interesting thoughts and comments there.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do the Blackstone analysis. I wish I had done it earlier, to establish the base results. I have used PUP 0w40 in my 2018 2500 6.4. If you read through the Blackstone thread in 4th gen there are some interesting thoughts and comments there.

Yeah, not going to that kind of trouble. An oil change is an oil change. Use good oil and a good filter, if something happens it's on the engine, not you.
Do some investigation Mobil 1 has been having problems with their synthetic motor oil, the PUP is better choice.
May be a better choice, but my mechanic doesn't carry that oil so it's Mobil 1. I'm not that **** about oil changes. I change my oil before it calls for it - I could use a roll of paper towels in a coffee can and it should be good enough.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Totally get it, I have always been one to just keep changing early and not thinking twice. The same appears to work for you, keep on truckin'!

I figured what the heck, I would do an analysis just because. I don't have many miles so still a good baseline. I found that my oil is sheared a bit and a trace out of fuel in it. I am changing to 5w40 next time I crawl under it and driving for longer when I am out so it warms up to operating temps plus using mid-grade fuel again. Will see how next two changes work out with tests. I have always put many years and 160k+ miles on all my vehicles with few problems, just trying something additional this time around.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Totally get it, I have always been one to just keep changing early and not thinking twice. The same appears to work for you, keep on truckin'!

I figured what the heck, I would do an analysis just because. I don't have many miles so still a good baseline. I found that my oil is sheared a bit and a trace out of fuel in it. I am changing to 5w40 next time I crawl under it and driving for longer when I am out so it warms up to operating temps plus using mid-grade fuel again. Will see how next two changes work out with tests. I have always put many years and 160k+ miles on all my vehicles with few problems, just trying something additional this time around.
I understand. My last two trucks had most of 200,000 miles when I sold them and I never had an issue with oil or filters. My manual calls for 0W-40 under all operating conditions so I'm sticking with that unless some issue comes up.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand. My last two trucks had most of 200,000 miles when I sold them and I never had an issue with oil or filters. My manual calls for 0W-40 under all operating conditions so I'm sticking with that unless some issue comes up.
Mine does also. But I don't drive in super cold temperatures and it is garaged every night. Since my engine temperature doesn't drop to such extremes it makes sense to adjust it a bit. I am totally out of warranty, so no worry there.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine does also. But I don't drive in super cold temperatures and it is garaged every night. Since my engine temperature doesn't drop to such extremes it makes sense to adjust it a bit. I am totally out of warranty, so no worry there.
Yeah, when my warranty is up in another few years I'll probably do the same. But this past winter is the first winter I had the truck and we did get down below zero for a couple nights back in January. I don't remember if I drove the truck during those few days, though.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Just a thought that if you have an Amazon account you might order the PUP and have your mechanic do the change when you get it. If you have time before you leave of course.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just a thought that if you have an Amazon account you might order the PUP and have your mechanic do the change when you get it. If you have time before you leave of course.
Thanks, already had it done Thursday morning. But I wouldn't do that to my mechanic. He's been very good to me and buying oil from somewhere else then just paying him the labor is kind of cheating him.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recommendation: since motor oil can sit on a shelf or warehouse floor for a while, shake the heck out of the quart or five gallons bottles. Every bottle of Mobil 1 I had in my garage had a lot of brown residue at the bottom of the bottle after I poured the oil out. I think it was part of the additive package settling out.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108005 miles.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a 1500 mile trip coming up, so even though I'm only at 4000 miles I'm changing it. Local mech doesn't carry Pennzoil UP, so since my manual says,

"We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer
Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark."

I'm going with Mobil 1, as it has the API donut trademark.
Get whatever attains manufacturer’s specifications along with a good filter. If your intention is to do a 5k mile OCF interval get whatever synthetic oil is on sale but don’t skimp on filter - Wix/NAPA gold or Purolator One/Classic/Tech seem to meet muster. Best of luck.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with all that has been said in this thread...I'm sure the blackstone stuff is the cats ass knowing what's goin on in the oil ..but,I'm sure others out there like myself would just change the oil when your suppose to and it will be just fine...I'll bet theres thousands and thousands out there that use even the crappiest solution to changing their oil and nothing bad happens...
My story is my last truck I didnt give a hoot if it failed or not due to oil concerns,it served me well for the 15-16 years or so I owned it...I've told my story here a time or 2 and I'll state it again now...last truck '98 ram 318 engine 180k+ on the clock....didnt change the oil for the last 3-4 years I owned it, bout 30k miles just to see what would happen,only the filter at 5-6k (my little test)..just added a quart of penzoil synthetic every so often as needed...that truck never died and was fine when I sold it(tranny suk'd though,reason I sold it)...i do think alot of the oil stuff here is over analyzed but that is a good thing if one wants a super duper oil analysis which is fine but not for me....nowadays I'm straight up mobil1 with a fram filter...not ready to abandon this truck yet but there will be a time...im 56 years old and only had 3 vehicles in my life...i think I can take care of what I've owned and know what can and should be done to prevent stuff from happening...I say to each his own and do what you want.
After all it is your call right or wrong but who is to say what is right and wrong if results(like my last truck)prove what can be done.....my .02 here.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing i think when i hear "first oil change" is say a prayer, face east, chant a sutra, stand on one leg, do a rain dance, sacrifice a goat to whatever you believe in to ensure the monkey that tightened my oil filter wasn't working the line the day yours was made. if so, ensure your wife and any small children are out of the garage when you go to change it.