First time hauling any substantial weight in my 04 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KIDRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
25 bags of mulch, about 800lbs total with some other stuff I had in there.

The power was fine, hardly noticed anything being back there. However the suspension was bottoming out when I went over speed bumps and out driveways. I took it as slow as I could.

Should I be worried about the suspension bottoming out? Think I need to replace my old 14yr old suspension parts?

5DkauwRl.jpg

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
25 bags of mulch, about 800lbs total with some other stuff I had in there.

The power was fine, hardly noticed anything being back there. However the suspension was bottoming out when I went over speed bumps and out driveways. I took it as slow as I could.

Should I be worried about the suspension bottoming out? Think I need to replace my old 14yr old suspension parts?

5DkauwRl.jpg
2 ideas...maybe 3

1. Move the load fwd in the bed.
2. Remove 1500 badges & replace w/ 2500 badges :)

If neither works, yeah, you might very well need springs & shocks. You shouldn't have bottomed out hitting a speed bump.

OP
OP
KIDRR

KIDRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
2 ideas...maybe 3

1. Move the load fwd in the bed.
2. Remove 1500 badges & replace w/ 2500 badges :)

If neither works, yeah, you might very well need springs & shocks. You shouldn't have bottomed out hitting a speed bump.

Thanks for the reply.

1. The load was as forward as it could get, the tool box blocked it from going all the way against the cab
2. If I do this will I also get 2500 fuel economy?

I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade on suspension anyway

Ballistic308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only part that holds the truck up (in the rear) are the springs. Look at replacing those and the bushings.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you don’t haul heavy loads often, then I wouldn’t upgrade the springs, just replace stocks as the ride quality will suffer.