First time Ram owner - Transmission question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lstadelmeier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a 2022 1500 Bighorn V6 4x4 with 26k on it. In 2 weeks I have put 2500 miles on it and really like the truck. I live on a hill and am not pleased with the hill assist, if my transition from brake pedals to gas is more than a second, the truck will roll backwards. This was not the case with my last truck (Nissan Titan). I took it to the dealer and they said everything checks out, do I call BS on this or is anyone else experiencing something similar

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I purchased a 2022 1500 Bighorn V6 4x4 with 26k on it. In 2 weeks I have put 2500 miles on it and really like the truck. I live on a hill and am not pleased with the hill assist, if my transition from brake pedals to gas is more than a second, the truck will roll backwards. This was not the case with my last truck (Nissan Titan). I took it to the dealer and they said everything checks out, do I call BS on this or is anyone else experiencing something similar
From the owner's manual;
"HSA is designed to mitigate roll back from a
complete stop while on an incline. If the driver
releases the brake while stopped on an incline,
HSA will continue to hold the brake pressure for a
short period. If the driver does not apply the
throttle before this time expires, the system will
release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll
down the hill as normal."

The manual does not define what "short period" equates to in time. In normal driving, I've never had an issue with it but I've never paid any attention to the time it takes for my foot to move from the brake pedal to the accelerator.

OP
OP
Lstadelmeier

Lstadelmeier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. Manuals have a large CYA component to them, I am inclined to think the truck is ok and I just have to get used to a new model. I don’t want to cry wolf if this is normal. That titan is a hard truck to compare against…rock solid, just had too many miles on it!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. Manuals have a large CYA component to them, I am inclined to think the truck is ok and I just have to get used to a new model. I don’t want to cry wolf if this is normal. That titan is a hard truck to compare against…rock solid, just had too many miles on it!

As an info gathering effort, why not disable the Hill assist and get some idea of how much assistance is being contributed? :cool:

And, chrome_image_Nov. 16, 2023 4_51_54 a.m. EST.png to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
Lstadelmeier

Lstadelmeier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first truck was a 69 C10 w/327 4-on the floor. I know exactly what your saying

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
By chance is it disabled ?
I did not like to it on my RAM so I shut it off !
If it is on maybe shut it off and then turn it back on ?
Maybe a glitch ?

Oh yea WELCOME to the group

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's an option on my '21 Warlock, I saw it the other day while touring the settings. :cool:

Now you're going to make me go look again. I think I remember seeing it in the setting and that makes me think it wouldn't be there if I couldn't disable it. Thanks a bunch. ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now you're going to make me go look again. I think I remember seeing it in the setting and that makes me think it wouldn't be there if I couldn't disable it. Thanks a bunch. ;)

I'll grab a pic sometime soon. I'm headed out for a trek momentarily. :cool:

20240225_163359.jpg

Last edited:

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you go to your settings it allows you to activate HSA. You
have to enable it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not a transmission question, but a brake thing from what I hear.
I have never really paid any attention to mine, I just sit with foot on brake.
I would think if you stop on a hill , no traffic around, then release the brake and see what happens?
Now You have me thinking I will have to try that myself.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even before they invented hill assist I never had problems starting from a dead stop on a hill because I was lucky to be born with 2 feet, used one for the brake the other one for the gas....

This is how I drive to this day...never got use to 1 foot driving.
I was so use to using both feet from tractor mowing for a few years before I got my license.
That was so awkward for me when it came time to take my test to not use 2 feet.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the owner's manual;
"HSA is designed to mitigate roll back from a
complete stop while on an incline. If the driver
releases the brake while stopped on an incline,
HSA will continue to hold the brake pressure for a
short period. If the driver does not apply the
throttle before this time expires, the system will
release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll
down the hill as normal."

The manual does not define what "short period" equates to in time. In normal driving, I've never had an issue with it but I've never paid any attention to the time it takes for my foot to move from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
I think the key is ensuring you keep applying the brake with moderate pressure for a second or two after you've come to a complete stop, it'll hold through the normal cycle of a stop light. Mine works well enough to hold the truck and 7000 lbs. of tractor and trailer from rolling backwards even on moderately steep inclines.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 106821 miles.