fix for non existant spray on windshield ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have noticed for a long time that when I want to wash the windshield from the wiper fluid resevoir that I am not getting anything and today finally decided to do something about it.

I raised the hood and stood at the corner of the door and pushed the wash to see where the issue might be and sure enough I could see fluid dripping off the edge of the hood closest to the windshield (almost the center of the hood).

Now to find out what the issue is I am going to have to remove the liner under the hood.
So do I make a 40 mile round trip to buy a trim removel tool or is there another way I can remove the plastic Tabs that that hold the liner to the bottom of the hood without tearing them up ?

Hopefully the issue is only that the hoses have slipped off of one or both squirters that sit on top of the Hood.
IF that is the issue and nothing is broken requiring replacement parts what can I do to prevent the hose or hoses from slipping off again ?

Thanks

mullet6577

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would bet on one or both of the sprayer nipples being broken, and still in the tubing. I've had to replace both squirters on my wife's 2013 Santa Fe and my daughter's 2016 Jeep Compass recently. Santa Fe has cowl mounted sprayers, the Jeep was at least easier since they are hood mounted, like the Rams.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would bet on one or both of the sprayer nipples being broken, and still in the tubing.
This happened to me. Mine had quit working. Finally got around to looking this weekend and the nozzles had snapped off in the hose fitting. Cleaned it out with a small screwdriver and put my new nozzle sprayers in.

I only pulled 3 of the retainer tabs out and get to the hoses. I had the trim removal tools and still broke 2 of the 3. I'm ordering some more of the tabs to replace the ones I lost. I have a 2014, so our trucks are about the same age. Get new retainers as linked on here and don't worry about breaking them. OH... the spray nozzles will probably break as well. When I tried to remove the original ones, they disintegrated.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully it's not broken like the others. Have had the tubing simply pop off the fitting that only required pressing the tubing back on. Tried to spray when the temp. was bellow freezing. Pressure blew the tubing off when water was frozen at the spray nozzle.

Used a plastic pry tool for the hood cover. No issues off and back on.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Same issue here, about 2 years ago, one nozzle broke under the hood right where the tube connects. I bought 2 replacements, figuring the other was the same age and would break soon anyway. Bought from a vendor on Amazon.
Be careful.
The ones I bought, with the highest ratings, would only squirt a single stream. Very poor design. They went into the trash.

I also got the retainer tool and assorted retainers in a kit, everything worked as it should.

I gave up getting the nozzles online and bought from my dealer, and
those nozzles worked perfectly, as they should.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My local NAPA store is a decent size
They have bags of different plastic clips & pins, ford, GM, Chrysler, etc.

buy a set of trim tools, from just about any where, like H.F.

1712023619964.png
don't try to grab the Head
Shove the tool between the hood & insulation, then pry
do not try to just grab the head, the plastic is likely to break

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
1712024133608.png

TYPE 6 pin, is one that i have NOT tried to remove
7 through 12 clips are more like what my 2 Rams have had

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have any auto parts stores around you they should have the trim tools. I got a set from harbor freight for like $4 and they look exactly like the ones GTyankee posted

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the information and links everyone.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
\I found a tool in my Dads old toolbox that had a vee cut in one end of it and used it to get the plastic rivits out then took the heat shield off.
Turns out the Hose had just slipped off the drivers side and I just pushed it all the way back in and now I have a good spray on the windshield.
Only lost one of them which fell inside of engine cover.

I dont have rain sensitive wipers so I guess it is ok to use rainex in the reservoir ?
If not, I suppose I could just wipe it on with a sponge.

I can see liquid down in the reservoir,I suppose that is enough to keep from overfilling ?

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I gave read it may work fine and may not.
I will eithe put it on with a sponge or just use use regual wiper fluid.