Fixed my Android Auto Bluetooth paring issue with Uconnect S/W update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marty DeVall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have had my 2018 RAM 3500 for a year now with the 8.4 touch screen with navigation. When I first got it I had a problem where you could use the normal Bluetooth pairing or connect the USB cable and use Android Auto. The problem came when you wanted to switch between one or the other. If you just used one connection method it would work most of the time, but if you wanted to switch between the two modes, the connection would just get confused and out of sync to where either connection mode would not work. For the first year, I just did not use Android Auto because of the problems it would cause making the phone, not sync/connect at all.

Android Auto allows you to mirror your phone's screen to the 8.4 Uconnect touch screen. In this mode, it limits the functions available and is a free app from Google for all Android Phones. I had taken the RAM 3500 in for service for this problem when only 3 months old and contacted Uconnect support, no solution was offered in either case. I figured there needs to be a software update, this was a pure software bug someone just did not bother to check this function. Their response we there is just no update out yet.

This issue continued till I was about to hit my 1-year anniversary and decided to call Uconnect/RAM support again to discuss my problem and to see if there was a fix available. The support person did find there was a software update that was released in February of 2019 (80042W).

I called my local RAM dealer and scheduled service to install/update my 8.4 Uconnect system. They just performed the update and I was happy to find this updated fixed the problem. Now I can switch between either mode, the normal Bluetooth pairing (wireless) or connect the USB cable and use Android Auto screen mirroring.

My takeaway on the whole problem is when I called support and talked to the dealer there was no avenue to report, track and get notified of a fix to my software problem. In this day and age, I find this oversight by this company is not providing this service.

If anyone else is experiencing Bluetooth, Android Auto, or Apple Carplay issues please request this Uconnect update.

My other comment... this is the first automobile I have purchased with onboard navigation, I am normally used to using Google Maps. I find the onboard navigation very disappointing, it is missing 2-year-old roads, it is more difficult to use verbal commands, and they want me to pay for map updates now it is 1 year old. I will most likely quit using this feature and just use my phone.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Nice write up.

I have a slightly different problem. I set my truck's Uconnect system as a trusted device on my Android phone so I don't have to keep giving them permissions to access each other.

I usually don't hook up the USB cable and use Android Auto unless I'm going to be driving to an unfamiliar part of the city (Google Maps/Navigation) or I'm going to be driving for a good amount of time and might want to use the hands free texting feature of Google Assistant.

I've noticed sometimes after I've used the Android Auto and I then use the built in Uconnect bluetooth connection for phone calls my phone will often ask for permission to connect to the Uconnect system. I say yes, and I then go through the process of adding the truck as a trusted device, whereupon I have no hassles with using the phone/Uconnect system. But if I use Android Auto and then revert back to bluetooth, I sometimes have to go through the process and add UConnect as a trusted device again.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your a good person to take the time to help others with radio problems also my truck has this bug will be bringing it to their attention to install this update :Caffeine: