Flashing computer for trailer brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I recently bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the intention of pulling my travel trailer. I had been test driving several trucks over a few days and most had the integrated trailer brake controller. I guess when I finally decided on the Ram, I forgot to notice that it did not have the trailer brake installed, but I looked online and saw that many other owners had installed their own and even flashed their computer. I bought an after market controller (not OEM) and installed it, bought an OBDlink LX reader and the alfaobd app. The app seems to be working, but I cannot find the trailer brake option. What am I doing wrong? I took the truck to the dealer who said that they could flash the computer, but then they said that they could only do it if they installed the factory controller...for $980.00. I did notice that the brakes work, but I guess I can't set the power of the trailer brakes unless my computer is flashed. Thank you for your advice.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The aftermarket controller should let you set the power from the controller. What kind did you buy, and is it plugged into the brake controller port in the electrical harness?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Show us the "aftermarket " controller in a picture or atleast a link to the one you bought. A universal aftermarket controller has either knob or buttons to set gain and such. Let us see what you got.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an after market controller (not OEM) and installed it, bought an OBDlink LX reader and the alfaobd app. The app seems to be working, but I cannot find the trailer brake option. What am I doing wrong? I took the truck to the dealer who said that they could flash the computer, but then they said that they could only do it if they installed the factory controller...for $980.00. I did notice that the brakes work, but I guess I can't set the power of the trailer brakes unless my computer is flashed. Thank you for your advice.
If you want the information to show on the dash and radio controls you’ll need the OEM unit. To the best of my knowledge aftermarket units don’t integrate with the OEM electronics. As others have said aftermarket has their own external controls. I used the OEM controller and flashed it with AlfaOBD which allows full OEM display functionality.

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you, I was thinking that might be the case, so I ordered one from Mopar yesterday. I hope this works.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The app seems to be working, but I cannot find the trailer brake option.
When you get the OEM brake controller installed, the list of options you need to enable are listed on the Known Working List which the link for it can be found in the first post of the AlfaOBD thread:
It's highly recommended to read through that first post and make a back up of your vehicle configuration before making any changes. How to do this is outlined in the first post. Save two copies of the back-up file.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My dealer is going to do it for my wife's new 1500 in a few weeks for less than $200. My time is worth more than that. I'll let them deal with it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My dealer is going to do it for my wife's new 1500 in a few weeks for less than $200. My time is worth more than that. I'll let them deal with it.
That's been my motto for years. People (including wife) say, "The mechanic is going to charge $200-$300 for that. You're a good enough mechanic, you could do (whatever) yourself in a few hours and $50 worth of parts." My answer, "I'll be fishing/hunting/drinking beer and won't have the time." :fishing1: :hunter: :drink_nl:

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they were going to charge $200-$300 I would consider it, but they want a grand. I guess that includes the original factory parts and installation but i'd rather take a wack at it myself first. I'm definitely going to backup my configuration first though.... Thanks for everyone's input.

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The aftermarket controller should let you set the power from the controller. What kind did you buy, and is it plugged into the brake controller port in the electrical harness?
I bought something called YCT module kit 82215040AC on Amazon. It is plugged into the controller port (that is I used the wiring harness that I found behind the dash) and the trailer brakes do work, I just can't adjust the power to them and there is no on screen prompts. I have since ordered a control module from Mopar that I hope will solve my problems. Has not been delivered yet. I was wondering how much I can use the one I have now without being able to adjust it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If they were going to charge $200-$300 I would consider it, but they want a grand. I guess that includes the original factory parts and installation but i'd rather take a wack at it myself first. I'm definitely going to backup my configuration first though.... Thanks for everyone's input.
Damn...sounds like you need a new dealer, because that price is with the factory Mopar controller and flashing the PCM. The ONLY way I could see them needing to spend enough money to hit $1k is if your wiring harness was *****'d and needed to be replaced.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's been my motto for years. People (including wife) say, "The mechanic is going to charge $200-$300 for that. You're a good enough mechanic, you could do (whatever) yourself in a few hours and $50 worth of parts." My answer, "I'll be fishing/hunting/drinking beer and won't have the time." :fishing1: :hunter: :drink_nl:
I mean it's what I used to do - I'd take weekends and make vehicle repairs, or if it was serious I'd work on it during the week. Heck I've pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled engines over a weekend.

So I CAN do it myself if I choose. My Kennedy and Craftsman toolboxes stuffed full of tools say that I used to.

But as I've gotten older I've found I just have a lot of other stuff to do that make it worth spending the $ to have someone else do it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I bought something called YCT module kit 82215040AC on Amazon. It is plugged into the controller port (that is I used the wiring harness that I found behind the dash) and the trailer brakes do work, I just can't adjust the power to them and there is no on screen prompts. I have since ordered a control module from Mopar that I hope will solve my problems. Has not been delivered yet. I was wondering how much I can use the one I have now without being able to adjust it.
There have been multiple reports of people having problems with OEM style aftermarket trailer brake modules.
The 82215040AC is the correct Mopar part number for the trailer brake module kit. The + & - buttons on the slider is what you use to adjust the gain. The OEM controller uses vehicle speed along with braking force to determine how much trailer brake to apply, there is a section in the owners manual on how to properly adjust the gain.
If you don't get the trailer brake screen to pop up on the EVIC(dashboard) when you move the manual lever, either it's not programmed correctly or an issue with the module itself.

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I recently bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the intention of pulling my travel trailer. I had been test driving several trucks over a few days and most had the integrated trailer brake controller. I guess when I finally decided on the Ram, I forgot to notice that it did not have the trailer brake installed, but I looked online and saw that many other owners had installed their own and even flashed their computer. I bought an after market controller (not OEM) and installed it, bought an OBDlink LX reader and the alfaobd app. The app seems to be working, but I cannot find the trailer brake option. What am I doing wrong? I took the truck to the dealer who said that they could flash the computer, but then they said that they could only do it if they installed the factory controller...for $980.00. I did notice that the brakes work, but I guess I can't set the power of the trailer brakes unless my computer is flashed. Thank you for your advice.
I guess I should also add, that I am using the OBDlink LX, not the recommended MX+, hopefully that doesn't make a difference. I am able to connect with the computer using the alfaobd app.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I guess I should also add, that I am using the OBDlink LX, not the recommended MX+, hopefully that doesn't make a difference. I am able to connect with the computer using the alfaobd app.
The LX should work but did you install a security gateway bypass? Any truck '18:and newer needs the bypass so you can write the the truck modules.

If you don't have one:

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was one of the other things I was going to ask, but forgot...do I need the security bypass cable? Also, when I get into the alfa app, there are like 5 different versions for the 2019 model, not sure which one to use.
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Also, when I get into the alfa app, there are like 5 different versions for the 2019 model, not sure which one to use.
Your '19 Classic is basically a '18 model your truck. It's a DS body

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was one of the other things I was going to ask, but forgot...do I need the security bypass cable? Also, when I get into the alfa app, there are like 5 different versions for the 2019 model, not sure which one to use.
Thanks
Yes you will need the security bypass harness. There are two different types I see for sale. One with two pigtail connections into the CANBUS and the other has one connection. If you choose the single connection it will limit the various systems you can access. The two connection is highly recommended as it allows access to more systems and information.

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered the one Crash posted, I'm not sure how much I'll use this whole setup once and if I get my trainer brakes working, but this is why I love these forums, so many people willing to help.