Flex Funnel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did my 2nd ever oil change on my '14. The first one, despite my attempt to use a gallon size zip loc bag on the oil filter, created an EPA disaster area IMHO.

This go 'round, I used a large Flex Filter (ebay purchase) under the oil filter. I was able to wedge it up under the oil filter nicely and still have the far end span the cross member to drain nicely into a catch pan.

I had just a little over spill when the filter came off but I'd say I caught about 99.9% of the oil.

The power steering unit was so nice and dry afterwards. :)

Btw, the rig got a fill of Shell Rotella 5w-30 Gas Truck oil with a 15oz Lubegard kicker. Truck was very quiet on startup.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought some flex funnels a year or so ago, absolutely love them.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The pigmat flex funnel?

I bought one for wifes stupid cr-v. It drips oil all over a lower control arm.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you secure the funnel around the oil filter ? i'll be interested in this idea. i see one in Amazon similar in concept for $11.
I'm used to mess already, i'll just put a big plastic painter cover sheet underneath the truck and i collect the oil that comes from the filter drain and filter itself with a big tall bucket, some of it spills and goes to the plastic cover, then i use blue mechanic towels to clean that mess from the cover and all the oil that collects in the steering pump and surrounding areas. First time i literally had oil in my mouth :) Somebody should slap the chief engineers who designed this BS hahaha.

i'll do anything to make less of a mess if possible.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I just use pig matts.........................

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you secure the funnel around the oil filter ? i'll be interested in this idea. i see one in Amazon similar in concept for $11.
I'm used to mess already, i'll just put a big plastic painter cover sheet underneath the truck and i collect the oil that comes from the filter drain and filter itself with a big tall bucket, some of it spills and goes to the plastic cover, then i use blue mechanic towels to clean that mess from the cover and all the oil that collects in the steering pump and surrounding areas. First time i literally had oil in my mouth :) Somebody should slap the chief engineers who designed this BS hahaha.

i'll do anything to make less of a mess if possible.
There is thin metal or something in those things, I just form it up once I get in into place.
I bend the back up to fit between the filter and block then create a “valley” heading out towards to wheel. This catches the oil that come out of the filter and let’s it drain down thru the control arm right into the pan.

it took a bit of fanagling the first time bending it up and whatnot but it works pretty good. I do “crack open” the filter a turn or so before wedging the funnel in there.

looking at the pic below, the right side would be under the filter with the folded up lip touching the engine block. I usually fold up the front corner a little more once it in there.
image.jpg

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pigmat flex funnel?

I bought one for wifes stupid cr-v. It drips oil all over a lower control arm.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

my wife’s Pilot does the same thing, must be a Honda thing.

Octane

Reaction score
I just put tinfoil over steering underneath the oil filter that the oil just run all over it and *** aluminum foil up throw it in trash or lay several grease rags over the steering rack there

Octane

Reaction score
Next to the last time I changed my oil I put the small oil filter on my engine and then this last oil change I didn't change that oil filter I had had a bad accident and a fall couldn't use but one arm so I left the old filter on there and just changed the oil itself but I didn't have but about 4,000 mi on the oil anyway and that small filter there wasn't much oil in those little ones

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is thin metal or something in those things, I just form it up once I get in into place.
I bend the back up to fit between the filter and block then create a “valley” heading out towards to wheel. This catches the oil that come out of the filter and let’s it drain down thru the control arm right into the pan.

it took a bit of fanagling the first time bending it up and whatnot but it works pretty good. I do “crack open” the filter a turn or so before wedging the funnel in there.

looking at the pic below, the right side would be under the filter with the folded up lip touching the engine block. I usually fold up the front corner a little more once it in there.
View attachment 226689
Got the Flexy funnel thing today from Amazon. there is a 14" long version and a 19" one. i went for the last one. Will see how my next oil change goes :)
Thanks again for the idea.

50577497532_d59cc89d80_k.jpg2020-11-07_01-43-57 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I use a plastic grocery bag. Tear it along the side to make one big piece of plastic. Cover the steering rack with it. Oil from the filter always drains off the back side of the bag.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
hmm. on my powerwagon there is a piece of plastic directly under the oil filter. Its like a really shallow funnel with a cut out in the bottom so all my oil just drain in there and straight into my oil pan. No mess at all :)