Flickering after big 3 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottCantrelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, recently added the big 3 with 1/0 and now I’m having problems with voltage jumping around while idling?

When the truck idles you can see the gauge cluster, headlights and all other lights in the truck flickering and voltage of the battery jumps around from 12.8-14.8. Is there something I’m missing here? Or is this just the signs of an alternator on its way out?

I’ve wired it bat+ to alt+, bat- to alt case, and bat- to factory ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Did you remove the factory grounds or leave them in place?

OP
OP
S

ScottCantrelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All factory grounds were left in place, just 1/0 added. Also the stock bat+ to alt+ was left as well

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
All factory grounds were left in place, just 1/0 added. Also the stock bat+ to alt+ was left as well

Try removing the extra grounds to see if that clears up the problem. This way you can rule this mod being the culprit.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant imagine how this is possible... can you take pics or a video of the connections?

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I made a video that you can find on this page... https://www.ramforum.com/threads/home-made-big-3-kit.128027/page-5

I think I see your issue. you stated that you did: "wired it bat+ to alt+, bat- to alt case, and bat- to factory ground."

It is + bat to + ALT, -Bat to factory ground, ALT bolt (which is your engine) to factory ground. The battery doesn't ground to the engine via the alternator... atleast that's not how ive seen anyone do it.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, recently added the big 3 with 1/0 and now I’m having problems with voltage jumping around while idling?

When the truck idles you can see the gauge cluster, headlights and all other lights in the truck flickering and voltage of the battery jumps around from 12.8-14.8. Is there something I’m missing here? Or is this just the signs of an alternator on its way out?

I’ve wired it bat+ to alt+, bat- to alt case, and bat- to factory ground.

Here is the video I made. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

ScottCantrelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have everything wired exactly the way you have except for the alt ground. Mine is going straight to the battery - which is the shortest possible path to ground so I’m not sure how that would be the problem but the truck has magically fixed itself lately, which leads me to believe the alternator is on its way out. If it happens again I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks for the video

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have everything wired exactly the way you have except for the alt ground. Mine is going straight to the battery - which is the shortest possible path to ground so I’m not sure how that would be the problem but the truck has magically fixed itself lately, which leads me to believe the alternator is on its way out. If it happens again I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks for the video

I hears ya... only difference is block to body and I don't know if that would've made a difference... maybe it was the PCM trying to figure everything out, lol. did you disconnect your battery while you did the upgrade?

Bugsysiegals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took measurements to see how much wire it would take and noticed there are 2 grounds on the battery. One, right to fender area which is what you used; however, another goes down the harness and then comes out and attaches to the frame on he drivers side. I'm not sure how well the ground near the fender is but I figured I'd do both. Also, since there's a ground on the frame on the drivers side, you could ground your alternator straight down to it with less than 30" of wire rather than coming across to the passenger fender.

I've not done mine yet but planned to clean with denatured alcohol and then apply dielectric grease followed by the Red battery terminal protector to fight corrosion. I've also read people are using silicone or liquid electric tape over the top.

All that said, did you get a chance to measure what gauge the stock wire was? I'm going to run power wire for aftermarket amp and may go #1 AWG welding which handles 300A. I've not seen the wire in person so I cannot judge but wonder how thick the existing wire is since it looks pretty solid already.