Florida sun, heat and weather outdoor protective solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew8917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Covid-19 has me working from home indefinitely. Not enough room in my garage for the truck (i knew this before purchase) and have the intention of purchasing a 5,6,7 layer outdoor protective cover... Any preferred brands or suggestions for protecting my vehicle?

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I used California Car Covers in the past. I still have one for a Mustang I used to own. They are custom fitting not a one size fits all, or actually none, type. It was the Noah type. You will want a tonneau cover otherwise the bed will become a mini pool during the daily summer rains.

OP
OP
Andrew8917

Andrew8917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I used California Car Covers in the past. I still have one for a Mustang I used to own. They are custom fitting not a one size fits all, or actually none, type. It was the Noah type. You will want a tonneau cover otherwise the bed will become a mini pool during the daily summer rains.
Thanks JC! Tonneau is next on my list!

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can swing it, look into a carport. When the better half and I first bought our home, the first thing I did was try to fit the truck into the garage, no go on that, about a foot to short. Was not a deal breaker on the home purchase but I was hell bent to get a carport. Took me a while but a few months ago, pulled the trigger and had one installed. Keeps the Ram out of the elements (for the most part) and allows me to clean her without TN sun beating the crap out of me.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
If you can swing it, look into a carport. When the better half and I first bought our home, the first thing I did was try to fit the truck into the garage, no go on that, about a foot to short. Was not a deal breaker on the home purchase but I was hell bent to get a carport. Took me a while but a few months ago, pulled the trigger and had one installed. Keeps the Ram out of the elements (for the most part) and allows me to clean her without TN sun beating the crap out of me.
Carports and hurricanes don't play well together in Florida. I suspect the OP lives in HOA anyway...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Covid-19 has me working from home indefinitely. Not enough room in my garage for the truck (i knew this before purchase) and have the intention of purchasing a 5,6,7 layer outdoor protective cover... Any preferred brands or suggestions for protecting my vehicle?
Unfortunately my truck has to live outside too. I have kept it covered since day one. It gets hot here too so I always try to buy a cover with the most layers to protect it from the sun as much as possible. I have tried several brands and nothing seems to last more than about a year or a year and a half. I have been using the Barrett Jackson car cover for about the last two or three. They are pretty well made and not to expensive. I can usually find them at Pep Boys for around $100. I have just kind of given into the fact that if the truck is truly covered outside 24/7 intense sun you are going to have to replace it every so often.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a car cover but seldom use it. It is supposed to be waterproof but it is not and the fabric collects all the fine dirt and any pollen in the air. So I use it when I want to cover the truck for a couple of days.

I have bought covers from Empire, Covercraft, CoverKing, and other companies and none perform well and this includes ones that cost me over $300.

When my truck is parked for any length of time I wash it and then put a large Harpster super heavy duty tarp over it that is secured with bungee cords.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X8JDMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a tarp on my kayak trailer that is still in excellent condition after 3 years in the California sun.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Would this work in the opposite situation? Cover it during winters in IL to avoid snow and salt.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
16254553-10A4-43C0-AC5F-2402F8E4312A.png If you haven’t already done so. Clay it, polish, then add a good sealer to it. I prefer sealer wax combos to save a step. Twice yearly. I also am a big fan of my cover craft UVS100 sun shade. Keeps her mint regardless of season.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have bought expensive truck covers from three of the major brands and none were truly waterproof and all deteriorated in the California sun in a couple of years. Fine dust would go through the fabric and this made the truck dirtier than not having a cover at all.

I have gone to using a Harpset super heavy duty tarp and 4 bungee cords to cover the truck when it is going to sit for a week or more. The Harpster tarps cost far less than a standard car cover and they provide 100% protection. I have one of their tarps that I have used on my kayak trailer for the past 5 years and it is still in very good condition.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never found a satisfactory "car cover" and I've done a ton of research and tried a couple out. Short of that my suggestion would be is have your truck ceramic coated. It is not the same as parking under a structure but it will protect the paint from the elements and it will do far better than a simple wash and wax. As was suggested even a sealant would help as a sealant lasts a lot longer than wax and will protect the paint also. Sorry I can't be more helpful on the "cover".
Jay

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there are a couple of products for automotive window tinting that you might consider. These are 0% tint with strong UV filtering and, most importantly, they reduce heat. I had this applied to one of my cars and it works great for reducing cabin heat. It is applied to the windshield as well as the side and back glass.

https://northamerica.llumar.com/aut...lm/clear-window-tint/clear-window-tint-series

Unfortunately my truck has to live outside too. I have kept it covered since day one. It gets hot here too so I always try to buy a cover with the most layers to protect it from the sun as much as possible. I have tried several brands and nothing seems to last more than about a year or a year and a half. I have been using the Barrett Jackson car cover for about the last two or three. They are pretty well made and not to expensive. I can usually find them at Pep Boys for around $100. I have just kind of given into the fact that if the truck is truly covered outside 24/7 intense sun you are going to have to replace it every so often.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Was a detailer for 4 years, car covers = car scratches. Dust gets under them and with wind they will scratch your car. I'm in sunny cali and both my 2010 truck and the wife's 2009 car lives outside with no cover and no scratches except my ******** mistake with my truck one day, allthough this latest fires did cause some CC issues, I just couldn't wash them everyday and I should have, that is on me.

One lady had a black transam, hardly ever drove it, her daughters car and she lost the ability to drive so they stored it with a cover under a carport. When they took the cover off after the girl passed, man you couldn't even tell it was black from the CC scratches everywhere.

Best practice just double bucket wash once a week and use these modern waxes as you dry. If you use a cover, make sure the car is clean when you put the cover on. I don't really think there is a perfect answer for this, it is likely a total wrap 3m vinyl kit would be the best thing if you are that **** about it.

Funny most of the cars we would wash that had 3m on them were fancy cars, Porsche and other high end cars. Good for rick chips as well. For a Ram, might cost you a grand. Everytime you wash a 3m'd car, it looks freshly waxed.