FNG from Idaho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMTTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Good morning! I own a 2014 Ram 3500 with the 6.4L Hemi. I know in a 1 ton I should have gotten a diesel, but I did not want to mess with DEF, pay the ridiculous price dealers are charging for diesels, and this is primarily my wife's truck ( I own a ford 1 ton) anyway it's been a great truck and it has always been reliable and safe for my wife and two kids. Not long ago the engine blew up towing my father-in-laws 5th wheel, the truck had the 6.4 tick and I knew it would need replaced, I was just pushing my luck and hoping to get the trailer to its destination, the trailer was well within the trucks advertised towing limit. I have an extended warranty so I had a local shop put a brand new engine in it. Since then I have had issues with it randomly dying at low speeds when I let off the throttle. Codes are saying it's running lean in bank 1 and 2. I've put new OEM 02 sensors in it and had the fuel pump replaced (dropping a fuel tank sucks!). One of my suspicions is that when it blew up (there was a ton of smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust) that somehow the cats got plugged or damaged possibly by engine parts being forced out at high pressure, and it is confusing the 02 sensors. It does not do it all the time, and when the truck dies I put it in neutral and it fires right back up without any issues and goes for awhile before doing it again. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum, also you may have a CAT problem at one or both depending if allot of oil or antifreeze got pushed through them, there is a test you can do by checking your fuel trims to see how the exhaust is flowing through the system, your 02 sensors only function when the engine is up to operating temp, a way I've checked the cats is when its dark out lift up the hood and see if you have a glowing red cat because of it being clogged.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it is running, does it feel like it has normal power or does it feel down on power?

Usually a glowing red cat means that you are dumping raw fuel into the cat or a valve timing issue can also do it.
If they glow long enough, they become bad and can look like a molten mess lol.

OP
OP
M

MMTTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I do not have an issue with power, it runs like a rapped ape, except for when it dies haha. I have looked it over for vacuum leaks and such, but probably need to do it again, I may have missed something. I will let it run and see if the cats are glowing. Thanks

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might test the battery voltage and clean the throttle body plates - both easy to do and can cause your problem.

Hopefully it isn't a bad or missing ground connection.
Though you could always run an extra ground wire from the battery to the block and from the throttle body to the same block connection from the battery.

johnsuar2329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hello, i am having the same issue did you get it resolved if so how..mine idles like a champ and has tons of power it just dies at low speed or deceleration