Fog light conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone done the fog light conversion where you put powerful LED cube lights in place of your stock fogs?

I was thinking of doing this instead of getting a light bar

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone done the fog light conversion where you put powerful LED cube lights in place of your stock fogs?

I was thinking of doing this instead of getting a light bar

If you’re looking for more intensity you’ll want the light bar or both. The cubes will be bright but not compared to a light bar. Also you’ll likely get high beamed a lot with the cubes on at night so you might not want to run your fogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
check out Sidetracked Off Road. They make a kit for what you are trying to accomplish. You have some options for cubes as well. I went with their 60W pods (2 spot and 2 flood), but they offer Rough Country and Rigid as well.

Here is how it turned out

IMG_20190817_175241 (1).jpg

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check out Sidetracked Off Road. They make a kit for what you are trying to accomplish. You have some options for cubes as well. I went with their 60W pods (2 spot and 2 flood), but they offer Rough Country and Rigid as well.

Here is how it turned out

View attachment 178060

Image is not showing for me

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its looks like the Rigid and Rough Country options are SAE road compliant where as the Tracker are for offroad use only probably because they are a lot brighter

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Its looks like the Rigid and Rough Country options are SAE road compliant where as the Tracker are for offroad use only probably because they are a lot brighter

They are SUPER bright. I use them without headlights in the fog sometimes. It gets incredibly foggy up in the mountains by my house and these have been great.

Let me know if you can see this photo..

img_20190817_175241-1-jpg.178060

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive done the led swap to OEM housings. its a lot of light but it does not project very far the housings are not designed for that. i went with the pod leds but went with amber color

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Looks good! I can see the photo

How is the Spot/Flood light combo?

For me its the best combo. I get some "reach" with the spots and can see the fog line/ditches with the floods.

They also sell Amber lens replacements and "clip ons" if your a fan of the amber.

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Baja Designs Squadron pro.
I have 2 pair of combos and they are as bright as a 30 inch rigid bar. They are probably the brightest pods available.

I would suggest a pair of spots and a pair of their new sae on seperate switches.

The factory switch can be used to power the relay for the pods, but alfaobd is required to turn off the pwm or the relay will click on and off like an old dot matrix printer.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im using 2 rigid fog light pods, and 2 rigid driving lights in the fog light location using a dual duestch connector to the factory fog light plug. I think I bought my metal adapter on ebay.

the pic is with the fog lights/driving lights only on at night.

20190309_201204.jpg

20190303_173413.jpg

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Does Sidetracker or Rigid make those "pods" as a kit that fits into the fog light housing and/or replace the fog light housing? Or are you guys custom making a mount for them?

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Does Sidetracker or Rigid make those "pods" as a kit that fits into the fog light housing and/or replace the fog light housing? Or are you guys custom making a mount for them?

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
im using 2 rigid fog light pods, and 2 rigid driving lights in the fog light location using a dual duestch connector to the factory fog light plug. I think I bought my metal adapter on ebay.

the pic is with the fog lights/driving lights only on at night.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

i bought my bracket on ebay i think, ill see if i can find it and post back

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0

thanks!! So then you just buy the 4 pod lights and mount them in the bracket. So how hard/how much work is it to install this bracket to the bumper? I assume you completely remove the oem fog housing, and install this instead correct? Which would mean you loose the oem clear lens/cover as well, right?

Also, no CEL with all 4 connected and on the factory connector?

Lastly, where did you get the duetch duel connector?

Sorry for all the Q's, and thanks for the help! Actually, why don't you get on an airplane up to NY and install mine??? I have a bottle of bourbon waiting!!! ;)

Last edited:

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks!! So then you just buy the 4 pod lights and mount them in the bracket. So how hard/how much work is it to install this bracket to the bumper? I assume you completely remove the oem fog housing, and install this instead correct? Which would mean you loose the oem clear lens/cover as well, right?

yes to mounting the pods to the bracket. it uses the three factory bolt holes i think i used the oem bolts to bolt the bracket up. i think it took me maybe an hour to get it all bolted up and plugged in. the most time consuming part was getting the pods aimed. im sure i need to try adjusting them a little more, but i dont really have a place i can do it so the truck can be level 15-20 feet away from a wall, garage door, fence or whatnot. i also put the yellow covers over the pods to give me the yellow color, they would have been white without the covers. correct, youll lose the oem clear lens, but the pods are so much better!

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the duestch connectors off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Y-Sh...+Splitters&qid=1570752817&s=automotive&sr=1-1

the yellow covers also amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...r+(4)&qid=1570752750&s=automotive&sr=1-1&th=1

rigid fog light pod yet again amazon: https://www.amazon.com/504813-Rigid...=1570752919&sprefix=50481+rigi,aps,200&sr=8-3

rigid driving light pod, i went through an amazon phase, dont judge lol: https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...1XW0S05MYAF&psc=1&refRID=5YMZ4J06B1XW0S05MYAF

get a good anti flicker adapter, i got some off amazon and they failed within a year, i ended up getting mine at headlight revolution, cant find the link for the item, but my order shows "GTR Lighting PWM Interface Module ( 9005 / 9006 Style Connectors)"

havent had any cel errors, i have mine setup to be DRL also, so they are always on in gear or at night.

lol, sorry i just realised you had more sentences, i guess it only quoted some of it.

i'm done with traveling for a little bit lmao, beginning of september went to miami and went on my first cruise to cozomel and costa maya. then two weeks later drove to indiana for a few days, came back to go to oklahoma for a few day. there aint enough liquor to get me to travel anywhere right now!! lol