Following the factory recommended milestone maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robwgreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I was wondering how picky they are about you getting your vehicle in for the milestone maintenance servicing. For example, I am due for my 20k inspection which besides the cabin air filter (which I already replaced) is just a suspension and brake check. Would being late on this be a cause for voiding the warranty if something came up down the road? I really can't see it but you never know. I just have the worst service dealer here in town and was waiting until I was working in another area to get the service, which I suppose anyone could do. Thanks in advance for your help!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I was wondering how picky they are about you getting your vehicle in for the milestone maintenance servicing. For example, I am due for my 20k inspection which besides the cabin air filter (which I already replaced) is just a suspension and brake check. Would being late on this be a cause for voiding the warranty if something came up down the road? I really can't see it but you never know. I just have the worst service dealer here in town and was waiting until I was working in another area to get the service, which I suppose anyone could do. Thanks in advance for your help!

During my last seasonal warranty check, the mechanic inspected the brakes and checked off all the inspection details on the form without removing the wheels. I had already changed over to my winter wheels before the visit, so why go to the effort? (sarcasm inferred)

Given that they're so slack a$$ed at the dealer, I can't imagine them bugging you if you were to inspect them yourself, with or without the wheel removal.

I would suggest that you inspect the brakes on each wheel and make detailed notes of the amount of pad wear inboard and outboard, the approximate thickness of pads, any uneven pad thickness wear, and rotor condition- run your fingers across the side you can't see checking for grooves, relative calliper condition, seepage, etc.

If you have no time or inclination to perform this test, call around. Many muffler and brake shops will provide a free inspection. Just beware of BS if they say you need new brakes.

File this in your truck documents folder and you should be good until your next official inspection.

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
R

robwgreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks all! And thank you for the welcome! I just don't have confidence in my local dealer from the last couple visits. My last issue I was putting off bringing the truck in for a blown speaker that was pretty much blown at 3k miles. I've just been dealing with it as annoying as it is. Set up an appointment plus to get oil change. Assumed they ordered speaker as it was out a little bit time wise. Came in and was told about 1 1/2 hours....ok I'll wait. 4 1/2 hours later I finally get told I'm ready. Service advisor states they adjusted my equalizer and I should be good to go. WTF? I adjusted the MF equalizer because of the annoying sound coming from the speaker! The speaker is blown, I told you several times. He gets the mechanic who looks and says well I guess we should order a speaker. Im busy with work but damnit it been a couple months and no word from them so yeah they didn't order a speaker. So another call or trip for me soon.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Id error on the side of caution and have those done at a dealer , lots of times they will look for any excuse to deny warranty work if they can get away with it . And it is worth traveling a few miles to a competent dealer,if you can find one. Warranty is a good thing however the stress of dealing with those a$$holes can be really frustrating,

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all! And thank you for the welcome! I just don't have confidence in my local dealer from the last couple visits. My last issue I was putting off bringing the truck in for a blown speaker that was pretty much blown at 3k miles. I've just been dealing with it as annoying as it is. Set up an appointment plus to get oil change. Assumed they ordered speaker as it was out a little bit time wise. Came in and was told about 1 1/2 hours....ok I'll wait. 4 1/2 hours later I finally get told I'm ready. Service advisor states they adjusted my equalizer and I should be good to go. WTF? I adjusted the MF equalizer because of the annoying sound coming from the speaker! The speaker is blown, I told you several times. He gets the mechanic who looks and says well I guess we should order a speaker. Im busy with work but damnit it been a couple months and no word from them so yeah they didn't order a speaker. So another call or trip for me soon.

That's most unfortunate. I prefer to make no assumptions when it comes to service from anyone.

I discuss the required work with the service advisor long before the appointment and get his/her assurance that the necessary parts will be available at the time of my appointment. And constantly exercise active listening with any response from them to be 100% certain that our understanding is very mutual.

We'll test the speaker and take care of the problem. "OK, you will test the speaker using my favourite song or the Sirius channel Classic Vinyl and when all the voice tracks distort, you will replace the speaker that will be ordered in advance." "Is that correct?"

I will not concede until I've heard the magic words; "Yes, that is how we shall proceed".

If you are unable to locate another stealership, there is another option. Find a competent and communicative mechanic elsewhere. There's no reason that you can't have most of the routine maintenance completed elsewhere.

Just be careful to follow the owner's manual on required service intervals and document and save all of your receipts. Just be sure that the invoice specifies the correct details that will be required to enforce your warranty if required.

I agree with Daw14. Warranty items are best completed at a dealership, even if you have to travel a bit.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
That's most unfortunate. I prefer to make no assumptions when it comes to service from anyone.

I discuss the required work with the service advisor long before the appointment and get his/her assurance that the necessary parts will be available at the time of my appointment. And constantly exercise active listening with any response from them to be 100% certain that our understanding is very mutual.

We'll test the speaker and take care of the problem. "OK, you will test the speaker using my favourite song or the Sirius channel Classic Vinyl and when all the voice tracks distort, you will replace the speaker that will be ordered in advance." "Is that correct?"

I will not concede until I've heard the magic words; "Yes, that is how we shall proceed".

If you are unable to locate another stealership, there is another option. Find a competent and communicative mechanic elsewhere. There's no reason that you can't have most of the routine maintenance completed elsewhere.

Just be careful to follow the owner's manual on required service intervals and document and save all of your receipts. Just be sure that the invoice specifies the correct details that will be required to enforce your warranty if required.

I agree with Daw14. Warranty items are best completed at a dealership, even if you have to travel a bit.

Classic Vinyl... twins there, Brother!
My favourite station...then one down on #25 to Classic Rewind ;)

OP.. and yes...being concise and clear when dealing with a dealership service person is paramount to ensuring that the expectation meets the deliverable... or is that the other way around ;)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

OP.. and yes...being concise and clear when dealing with a dealership service person is paramount to ensuring that the expectation meets the deliverable... or is that the other way around ;)
Decent station. I also got 70/80/90s on and sport talk sometimes.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yup I got a few lol on usb too but TBH my RAM driveway princess not run a lot
At one point back when downloading tunes was a huge thing I spent a great amount of time doing this and accumulated 23,000 songs and stuffed them all onto my then 160GB iPod.. I dang near broke the thing it was so stuffed...lol

I still have all my tunes from back then, and frequently make up USB's with varying tunes for road trips...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Those are the first two and most used channels on my radio. You guys forgot the '60s channel too. :cool:

At one point back when downloading tunes was a huge thing I spent a great amount of time doing this and accumulated 23,000 songs and stuffed them all onto my then 160GB iPod.. I dang near broke the thing it was so stuffed...lol

I still have all my tunes from back then, and frequently make up USB's with varying tunes for road trips...

Have you been able to locate a source where they don't use too much file compression?

I downloaded a number of my old favourites and was seriously disappointed with lots of it.

The sounds are empty, hollow, and not full-sounding. Half of the Sirius stuff sucks from too much compression, doesn't matter if it's old or new releases and the other half rocks.

Now I not got dat many. Sometimes I pop in Janis Joplin CD fer something different (2019 5th gen came with single cd player)

My Janis CD collection is motivating me to install a CD player in my Warlock. And, the old Stones from the early '60s.

Jealous! :cool:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yes, a lot of the sound sounds kind of tinny and poor but all I have is a basic six speaker system anyway and my hearing is bad enough that I don’t care but that’s just me

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yes, a lot of the sound sounds kind of tinny and poor but all I have is a basic six speaker system anyway and my hearing is bad enough that I don’t care but that’s just me

I have the 9-channel Alpine stereo.

Unlike some other owners, I find that it's excellent on occasion. Other times it gets all tinny, I know what over-compression sounds like.

That's why I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with the stereo. I recall that certain CDs sound crappy at home too because the data is way over-compressed.