Found the source of my steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't post about it previously, but back in August I had all-new front suspension components installed in my truck:
  • Rebuild CARDONE steering rack
  • Mevotech HD upper control arms
  • Mevotech HD lower control arms
  • Mevotech New tie-rod ends
  • Mevotech New stabilizer drop-links
  • Energy Suspension Poly stabilizer bushings
  • Energy Suspension Poly steering rack bushings
That was approximately 1,000 miles ago. I haven't been driving my truck as much since PANDEMONIUM has gone into effect. Driving on the freeway Friday taking an animal to the vet, the steering felt very "vague" and it took about 1/4 turn of the steering wheel before the actual wheels would turn. I got the front end up on stands yesterday afternoon to take a look and this is what I found:

The metal spacers on the back-side of the steering rack that goes between the body and the bushings are missing. The bolts for the steering rack were finger-tight. Manual says they should be 185 ft-lbs. I tightened them down a bit just so the setup wouldn't loosen up and I can drive it back to the shop next week. This reeks of installation failure. I'll give them a chance to re-do the installation and re-align it before I blast them on review platforms & social media.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Also check this out, not sure if it is the same in 3rd gen as my 4th gen 2500, but made a huge difference. I actually used plastic bushings, about $0.50 at the hardware store. It fixed my wandering steering.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. Hopefully they just admit their fault and fix it for you.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
What are these metal parts you speak of? I had a similar issue and found that a new steering rack was installed on my truck but they reused the old bushings. There's nothing between the bushings and the body of the truck, is there a P/N for that part? It looks like it's part of the factory bushing, but I put poly bushings on.

Damn, looked it up and I am missing more parts.

As far as what you found goes, I would not take your truck back to a shop that's that sloppy. Post the video on YouTube and name the shop, then give them a ring and let them know that they can refund you and you'll take the video down, otherwise it's staying up. A five minute test drive would've made that problem immediately obvious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there @audiowize , the image below represent the parts that are missing - they go between the steering rack and where it attaches to the frame. The bushings ride on these. Part # 52106728AC. The shop installed the bushings then bolted the steering rack right to the frame. It is easy to tell from underneath they are missing.

52106728AC_0002__ra_p.jpg

Before opening/filing a claim with the BAR in California (Bureau of Automotive Repair) the shop has to be given a chance to rectify the issue. I called them this morning and we're going everything when I bring it in.

What are these metal parts you speak of? I had a similar issue and found that a new steering rack was installed on my truck but they reused the old bushings. There's nothing between the bushings and the body of the truck, is there a P/N for that part? It looks like it's part of the factory bushing, but I put poly bushings on.

As far as what you found goes, I would not take your truck back to a shop that's that sloppy. Post the video on YouTube and name the shop, then give them a ring and let them know that they can refund you and you'll take the video down, otherwise it's staying up. A five minute test drive would've made that problem immediately obvious.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Man, I just keep finding more missing parts on my truck. It came with a very new looking steering rack and whoever put it on reused two of the factory bushings but they just threw away the ones in that photo.

I realized they were missing and ordered new poly bushings, but I definitely couldn't meet the torque spec in the service manual without squashing the bushings, so I've been trying to figure that out. That makes a lot of sense that there would be two metal parts on either side of the rack, as those could be rigidly torqued together.

Even if the first shop "fixes" that, I would spend the money for someone else to inspect the work. That's not a particularly safe way to hand off a car!

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn @audiowize you're dealing with the same BS I am. Sorry buddy. You're up in Seattle, but what are the chances your truck was taken to the same shop as mine?

This morning dropping my truck off, I had to explain to the service tech how the bushings and sleeves worked together to hold the steering rack in place. When I got out to the service bay with them, I could see the tech literally just torqued the bolts down but didn't inspect the rack really. After explained everything the tech was like "oh... $h#t. I see..."

They ordered the replacement parts, will do it all right, and an alignment.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Yeah blackmail is always the best way! ‍♂️

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So they put ONE of the bushing sleeves in and new bushings. I've had it, 2 chances to do it right - I'll leave an appropriate review and fix it myself. Just sucks that you can't trust a place that calls themselves "Suspension Professionals". Ugh.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Well yeah, to get the second one in you have to squeeze pretty hard against the front diff cover, or you have to take the diff cover off. Got forbid they do the job properly... I just did this myself yesterday!

Be sure to file a claim with your bank/credit card company to get your money back.