Frequent & Intermittent Brake Warning Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulling the Camper down the Highway we pulled into a Rest Area, as I stepped on the Brakes on the off ramp the Brake Warning Light came on (and Chimed). It was off after I started the truck back up, then came on again 15 or so min later. The entire week it would keep coming on at random times. On the way home after a fill up stop it stayed off for the remaining 2 hour drive, and didn't come on at all the next day during a short run. A few days later it came on as soon as I started the truck.

Brakes are working fine, fluid level is good, and I haven't messed with anything in the brake system since I've owned the truck.

Can this fault be scanned to see which possible sensor could potentially be bad?

Would this be a stored code or would it have to be scanned with the light on (i.e. truck left on)?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind. I am assuming this condition was not present without the trailer attached. I am also assuming that the brake force setting on the brake controller is correct for the weight of your trailer.

Do you have the OEM or an aftermarket controller? You could be experiencing a communication issue between the brake controller & the truck's computer or an impending failure of the brake controller.

It could simply be a dirty connection at either end of the circuit. Check the harness connections at both ends of the truck. Clean the truck & trailer plug with some electrical contact cleaner (I use CRC) and then apply a little dielectric grease to the two connecteors where the truck and trailer connect electrically.

Inspect your trailer brakes and make sure they are engaging when the trailer is connected to the truck. Do this while stationary and the trailer wheels removed. Someone will have to help watch the brakes or operate the truck brakes. If you have surge brakes then this method won't work.

Lastly, a momentary code can be read as long as you haven't done three (3) key cycles (On/Off = one key cycle) after the last time the CEL lit up. After that a momentary code will disappear. You can always re-connect the trailer, take it out for a short haul and see if the fault re-appears.

Good luck!

OP
OP
MikeG71

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@MADDOG Thanks Michael, it is an aftermarket controller (previously installed). When I mention it came on as soon as I started the truck, that was with out the trailer attached. I can feel the breaks working on the trailer during a slow roll. As far as the setting for the trailer weight..... Blue Dog RV helped with that since I never used a BC before. Out of 5 settings it is selected to #3, (not that I have any clue what that actually means). The only real adjusting I made was on the dial to make sure it doesn’t grab hard at the stopping point.

This is the first issue I experienced. We took it to Seaside 2x last year and a trip to LaGrande. So far this year it was, Stevenson WA, Quincy Wa, and Florence/ South Beach (which is the trip it happened on). Since you know the area.... it happened at the Rest Area between The Dalles & Hood River. On the way home the fill up was at Biggs and we took 14 back to the Tri-Cites (it didn’t come back on the rest of that drive). I will definitely clean the connections regardless and troubleshoot from there. Since I’ll be on a Grocery run tomorrow I’ll get it scanned to see what I can find out. Thank you again my friend.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...know all those areas pretty well.

Good luck and let us know what you find. It will be a few days before you can get a scan due to the holiday but I'd definitely try that if that light comes on again.

Hang in there buddy. There's a fix ... you just have to find what needs fixin'.