Front Bilstein Shocks ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So looking to replace my factory shocks on my 2015 2500 MC. I see on the Bilstein site they show the rear factory replacement for the 5100 series but show nothing for the factor replacement for the front axle. What gives or am I totally missing something right in front of me? Any one have a part number or where to find it since it's not on the Bilstein site? Thanks for the help.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...057796877101721&lastvalue=8203496057459982531

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think I remember the 5100 fronts are too long to match the OEM and are supposed to be used with a leveling kit. But I think the rears do match OEM spec. Which might explain why you are only finding a rear. The trucks with the off road package come with the 4600 series all around from the factory. You could replace with the 4600 series all around. They are a little stiffer than the 5100 but a step better than the OEM Mopar ones.

If you want to get the best ride and are OK with spending a few extra bucks you can’t beat Fox. I swapped out to Fox and the truck was noticeably smoother in all conditions. Even with the factory coils. But the Bilsteins would be my second choice for sure. They are nice and excellent quality.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The search function is your friend...

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/shock-recommendation.119901/

I have no idea why Bilstein advertises its 5100 series front shock for lifted trucks only. Many of us on here have installed them on our stock suspensions. The fitment is perfect. Just make sure you buy the appropriate shock for either a hemi truck or cummins truck. I believe the valving is a bit stiffer for the heavier diesel engine. It's all in the above thread. By the way, I love the way the 5100's control the ride now. Big improvement over OEM Mopar.

If you do replace all 4 shocks, the fronts we much easier to install. The rear shocks have a threaded top stud that attaches through the frame of the truck. The nut that spins on that stud will strip out and you'll end up hack-sawing (or sawzall'ing) it off. Pain in the ****.

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
"The nut that spins on that stud will strip out and you'll end up hack-sawing (or sawzall'ing) it off. Pain in the ****."

So, nothing's changed in 45 years! Learned that little tid-bit working on Mom's car when I was 14 yrs old. Vice grips and a saw. What a pain.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That Bils shock definitely looks longer in your pic. Its missing the rubber and steel mount. Look at the threads, they start higher up.
That said, they probably work fine. Damn Lawyers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye