Front diff fill bolt seized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any suggestions? I nearly threw out my back trying to loosen the fill bolt on my front diff (2016 so American Axle). Lefty loosey righty tighty correct? About to put a jack to it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
So long as your turning it the correct way, I'd soak it with PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, spray it again and then try it.

If it still won't move put some heat on it but be careful of surrounding components.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think the bolt is around 25ftlb then they paint over the top of it so thats part of why its hard to loosen. use a longer 1/2 in ratchet with 3/8 adapter.

OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Appreciate the suggestions. Will get some PB. The bolt direction is normal (left = loose) correct?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it's regular thread. I never liked the left/right analogy as there are many ways that can screw (pun intended) you, e.g. when the bolt or nut is facing away from you.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Isn't the backside of the fill plug soaked with gear oil all the time? Doesn't seem like it could be rusted in place.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hit it with a torch for a few seconds. Nothing crazy, one of those propane torches will do nicely. Used that on broken intake manifold bolts on a Chevy 350.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Life lesson, keep a 3 foot pipe around at all times. I picked one up from Home Depot for about $8. It’s just big enough that it slips over my 3/8” socket, turning it into a huge breaker bar. I call it “the bar of encouragement” lol

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pb wont even get to the threads because like i said it probly has thick paint over everything and the bolt head is sealed against the cover with a gasket. besides the bolt isnt rusted anyways, its just tight from the factory. heat on the bolt is useless as you dont want it to expand and youll just melt the rubber washer behind the bolt head. heat on the cover likely would melt the bolt gasket as well. put the ***** 3/8 ratchet away and get a long 1/2" and use some huevos

Last edited:

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When looking at the cover you want to go counterclockwise with plug. I second a quick hit of heat followed by a longer handled ratchet or cheater pipe. Just remember if you snap the weld on the threaded **** the plug screws into your kind of SOL. At that point just order a new cover and plug from the dealer. Good luck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You guys are awesome! Posted this on Ram Forumz; viewed 90+ times with 0 comments. Sticking to this forum from now on.

Good choice! This is a good forum with lots of helpful folks. Did you get the plug out?

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, how did you make out with this?

I'm sure anyone who posted in this thread already knows this but for a newbie starting out doing their own maintenance I'd like to add that this situation is exactly why you always remove the fill plug first before you drain anything.

Kind of sucks if you decide one evening to drain and refill your front differential while throwing back a couple cold ones. Only to find out once your drain pan is full of old gear oil that you can't remove the fill plug, the dealer is closed, and you need to be at work for 7am.

OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry for the delayed response. I ordered a 3/8 breaker bar. It should be coming in the mail soon. Believe it or not it was sold out at the local Harbor Freight tools! Will keep everyone updated!

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I checked the condition of the fluid a couple months ago. 20k miles in 3.5 years.... didn’t remember the plug being overly tight, kind of remember it being easy. Do you live in an area where they salt the roads?

I ended up only changing my rear fluid, since my truck has only been in 4wd a few times. I’m not really sure when to change the front when is doesn’t get used and I live in a warm climate with not a lot of precipitation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I checked the condition of the fluid a couple months ago. 20k miles in 3.5 years.... didn’t remember the plug being overly tight, kind of remember it being easy. Do you live in an area where they salt the roads?

I ended up only changing my rear fluid, since my truck has only been in 4wd a few times. I’m not really sure when to change the front when is doesn’t get used and I live in a warm climate with not a lot of precipitation.

Live in Houston. Drove couple of times on the beach but I don’t think that was the issue. Finally got a 17” 3/8 breaker bar and got it unstuck. Changed the fluid at 85K miles. It was dark but still looked pretty good.

3D0F0405-0E57-4E70-A7BB-1EA31DFE4CF0.jpeg