Front end Leveling blocks - affecting towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2010 1500 4x4 crew cab that I had put a 2" leveling kit on the front end about 4 years ago when I had a Poly snow plow. I have since sold the plow and do not necessarily need the height for the plow any longer. I now tow a Jayco 28BHBE camper and I am wondering if the front end leveling blocks are hindering me or not. Will the leveling kit make the truck handle worse when towing? If I had them taken off, would that help me get some weight shifted back to the front end, possibly helping the handling? It seems like my truck steering is a little loose in general and I have had it to the shop and they can't tell any issues with it nor thing it handles bad. I like the look of the truck being leveled out, but if it helped the handling, I would not hesitate to that them off. I will mention that I have installed inter coil air bags on the rear that I pump up when towing to help the squat.

Pretty naive to this, so I appreciate any input!

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weight distribution hitch is what you need to balance your weight to the front otherwise the nose goes light and if you bounce can lose steering. Leveling kit does not effect load to much

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok. I do have a WD / Sway hitch that I use. I just didn't know if leveling kit had any affect at all.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok. I do have a WD / Sway hitch that I use. I just didn't know if leveling kit had any affect at all.

It all depends on how much tongue weight you're ending up with, and how level everything is once you're hooked up.

If everything ends up pretty level, then no, your leveling kit isn't hurting you much, if at all. Front-end leveling kits that raise the front generally don't hurt you much - it's usually the rear leveling kits that lower the rear end that can end up hurting you.

However, if, after you're hitched up, the trailer is level but your truck is still nose-high, then you'll have issues. That doesn't necessarily implicate the leveling kit, but it may be a contributing factor - how much I wouldn't know.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It all depends on how much tongue weight you're ending up with, and how level everything is once you're hooked up.

If everything ends up pretty level, then no, your leveling kit isn't hurting you much, if at all. Front-end leveling kits that raise the front generally don't hurt you much - it's usually the rear leveling kits that lower the rear end that can end up hurting you.

However, if, after you're hitched up, the trailer is level but your truck is still nose-high, then you'll have issues. That doesn't necessarily implicate the leveling kit, but it may be a contributing factor - how much I wouldn't know.
Thanks for the reply. When everything is hitched up, I am pretty level all the way across. With that said, I haven't been to a scale to get my actual tongue weight to make sure that even though I am level, I am correctly level.

But it sounds like I am close enough that my leveling kit is not harming anything.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the reply. When everything is hitched up, I am pretty level all the way across. With that said, I haven't been to a scale to get my actual tongue weight to make sure that even though I am level, I am correctly level.

But it sounds like I am close enough that my leveling kit is not harming anything.

If you're pretty close to level and not having issues with stability when towing, you're probably good.

Getting weighed is a good confirmation though.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I had a leveling kit on my 1500 and currently on my 2500 for a plow. The problem is trying to keep everything level, which if you're close, you're doing pretty well. On my Coleman 2855BH I had with my 1500, the 1500 needed airbags. On my 2500 I added airbags because, well, no wdh on a 5w hitch and the pin weight sags the truck to where it would be okay without a lift on the front, but since I have the leveling kit it looks terrible and the headlights are high.
Your trailer appears to be about 7,000# dry and 635# hitch weight based on 2020 specs. I suspect that hitch weight is quite a bit higher when loaded since the cargo are is in the front, and, the trailer is 33' long- that's a big unit for a half ton.

With that said, I felt that there were no steering issues with my half ton or my 3/4 ton setup with the leveling kits while towing. Hit the CAT scale and see what your front and rear axle weights are. I also had 275/65/20 tires on my 1500, which were E-rated and better suited for towing- if you have stock p-rated tires, once you get weight on them, the sidewalls will begin to get squirrely. Also check your tire pressure while towing, maybe you're a little low.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a leveling kit on my 1500 and currently on my 2500 for a plow. The problem is trying to keep everything level, which if you're close, you're doing pretty well. On my Coleman 2855BH I had with my 1500, the 1500 needed airbags. On my 2500 I added airbags because, well, no wdh on a 5w hitch and the pin weight sags the truck to where it would be okay without a lift on the front, but since I have the leveling kit it looks terrible and the headlights are high.
Your trailer appears to be about 7,000# dry and 635# hitch weight based on 2020 specs. I suspect that hitch weight is quite a bit higher when loaded since the cargo are is in the front, and, the trailer is 33' long- that's a big unit for a half ton.

With that said, I felt that there were no steering issues with my half ton or my 3/4 ton setup with the leveling kits while towing. Hit the CAT scale and see what your front and rear axle weights are. I also had 275/65/20 tires on my 1500, which were E-rated and better suited for towing- if you have stock p-rated tires, once you get weight on them, the sidewalls will begin to get squirrely. Also check your tire pressure while towing, maybe you're a little low.
Great input. Yes it is a full load for my truck, but we don't go cross country or anything. Probably 2-3 hours away is the farthest we go. Same size tires as you mentioned and they are updated E rated tires. I also just upgraded my trailer tires to Goodyear Endurance that I think will also help vs the junk tires it had.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This may apply for your loose steering, it improved mine by about 90%. I just used a 10mm plastic spacers from the hardware store that was 55¢ each and a zipper to make sure they don't fall out (I don't think they will). It's worth $1 for you to try!

You can order the aluminum bushing from EMF for about $10. https://emfballjoints.com/products/dodge-ram-2500-3500-intermediate-shaft-bushing
I noticed the video list 2500 / 3500. Think it also applies to the 1500? I admit, I haven't watched the video yet.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This may apply for your loose steering, it improved mine by about 90%. I just used a 10mm plastic spacers from the hardware store that was 55¢ each and a zipper to make sure they don't fall out (I don't think they will). It's worth $1 for you to try!

You can order the aluminum bushing from EMF for about $10. https://emfballjoints.com/products/dodge-ram-2500-3500-intermediate-shaft-bushing
I watched the video. I checked mine and mine seems to be tight, or at least tight enough I can't see it, however with my truck shut off, I can still turn my steering wheel about 1 1/2" to left and same to right. So a 3" swing. Shouldnt it be tighter than that?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Yes, it should be tighter than that, IMHO. Mine is about 1.5" play total. Not sure if the 1500 used the same "rubber" joint. But if it does, I would consider doing the same to it. You can try the $1 spacers from the hardware store, to see if it makes a difference.

20200902_174156.jpg