Front/rear level advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gee whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have been lurking for some time now reading everything I can find about this topic, however I have yet to find, (or maybe just missed) discussion on this exact setup. I just became a member so this is my first post, so please excuse my mistakes. I recently sold my 2010 f150 to buy something that will tow my camper better. Trailer weighs a little over 4k loaded

Last weekend I bought a 2017 crew cab long box 2017 ram 2500 4x4. It is a sharp looking truck, but right now I am not a fan of its stance. Yesterday I ordered 20x10 wheels with a -19 offset and 35x11.5 tires. Like everyone else here I am on a budget so a 4 inch lift is not going to happen. I would like to get as much lift out of it as I can without spending a ton of money and without compromising the life and performance of the suspension. I realize this is everyone' goal but I'mnot looking for 8 inches, just a couple.

I have not worked with coil springs before.

Here is my question and my plan, I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions, or just flat out tell me it wont work for some reason. haha From what I hear I can safely put 2.5 inch coil spacers on the front without sacrificing much. I am not too terribly concerned about crazy amounts of off road suspension travel. Being as the front is the limiting factor for the most part of how much lift I can get away with without dropping $$$ on an actual suspension lift, I would like to get as big of a spacer as I can safely get away with. 2.5 inch in the front would make it perfectly level with the rear. Since I am going to be towing occasionally I would like to lift the rear up a bit too, to stay away from that cali look (not a fan of saggy rears). I would like to get 1.5 inch rear spacers to account for that,.....which would hopefully make it close to level or maybe just a bit saggy hooked up to the travel trailer.

Does this sound like it would work and look ok without sacrificing function or lifespan of components?

I would love to hear your suggestions

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello, I have been lurking for some time now reading everything I can find about this topic, however I have yet to find, (or maybe just missed) discussion on this exact setup. I just became a member so this is my first post, so please excuse my mistakes. I recently sold my 2010 f150 to buy something that will tow my camper better. Trailer weighs a little over 4k loaded

Last weekend I bought a 2017 crew cab long box 2017 ram 2500 4x4. It is a sharp looking truck, but right now I am not a fan of its stance. Yesterday I ordered 20x10 wheels with a -19 offset and 35x11.5 tires. Like everyone else here I am on a budget so a 4 inch lift is not going to happen. I would like to get as much lift out of it as I can without spending a ton of money and without compromising the life and performance of the suspension. I realize this is everyone' goal but I'mnot looking for 8 inches, just a couple.

I have not worked with coil springs before.

Here is my question and my plan, I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions, or just flat out tell me it wont work for some reason. haha From what I hear I can safely put 2.5 inch coil spacers on the front without sacrificing much. I am not too terribly concerned about crazy amounts of off road suspension travel. Being as the front is the limiting factor for the most part of how much lift I can get away with without dropping $$$ on an actual suspension lift, I would like to get as big of a spacer as I can safely get away with. 2.5 inch in the front would make it perfectly level with the rear. Since I am going to be towing occasionally I would like to lift the rear up a bit too, to stay away from that cali look (not a fan of saggy rears). I would like to get 1.5 inch rear spacers to account for that,.....which would hopefully make it close to level or maybe just a bit saggy hooked up to the travel trailer.

Does this sound like it would work and look ok without sacrificing function or lifespan of components?

I would love to hear your suggestions
Take a look at https://www.thurenfabrication.com/
He has a lot of good info and leveling kits

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure if you "level" both the front and rear at the same time that's just called a lift.

OP
OP
G

Gee whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Wagon thanks for the link, ill check it out.

Kurek that is my goal, basically just getting all the lift I can, front and back, without compromising too much functionality and performance, while staying within a budget.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A 2.5" front "lift" or "level" is pretty common and you don't hear much about any issues. Companies like Thuren offer up to 3" lift front kits using new springs and the only other thing they seem to recommend is their trackbar (which is adjustable), though you can get by with the stock.

For the trailer, 4,000 lbs. is nothing and not even sure I would take that into account at all. Unless it has a bunch of tongue weight for some reason it shouldn't cause any issues and very little sag. Speaking of trailer weight, I think going with the 2500 is great choice but hope you didn't think that a 4,000 lb. trailer required a 2500 series truck!

OP
OP
G

Gee whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
62Blazer I appreciate the feedback! So maybe I should just go with a 2.5 front for now and see what it looks like with the trailer hooked up. Not sure what the tongue weight is but like you said I cant imagine it would be too much.

I was in the market for a newer pickup anyway, and I didn't feel like adding airbags or the like to the half ton so I just figured what the heck. If im going to get a truck I may as well get an actual truck.

On a side note I was able to get 17.4 mpg on the way home the other day when I bought the truck. Cruise set on 80 for two hours on the interstate. I do say im very happy with that! that bests the half ton by over 2 mpg. That is with the 6.4.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
62Blazer I appreciate the feedback! So maybe I should just go with a 2.5 front for now and see what it looks like with the trailer hooked up. Not sure what the tongue weight is but like you said I cant imagine it would be too much.

I was in the market for a newer pickup anyway, and I didn't feel like adding airbags or the like to the half ton so I just figured what the heck. If im going to get a truck I may as well get an actual truck.

On a side note I was able to get 17.4 mpg on the way home the other day when I bought the truck. Cruise set on 80 for two hours on the interstate. I do say im very happy with that! that bests the half ton by over 2 mpg. That is with the 6.4.

Best bang for the buck is the zone spacer with Fox Shocks. Anything over the 2” mark on the 2500’s you want a drop bracket. Billstein has a kit for a full coil replacement that’s 2.3” With 4 shocks but they are out of stock at the moment. Think of budget at this point and how much you are willing to spend. Obviously more money equals better ride. I’ve found the zone spacer at $100 with the Fox shocks at $160ish is the best bang for the buck. I own a suspension shop.

OP
OP
G

Gee whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quickshifter thanks for the feedback! I will definitely look into it. That setup sounds reasonably priced. I had a good budget, but unfortunately I spent most all of it on the truck itself!
Excuse the dumb question, but what is the drop bracket for?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Quickshifter thanks for the feedback! I will definitely look into it. That setup sounds reasonably priced. I had a good budget, but unfortunately I spent most all of it on the truck itself!
Excuse the dumb question, but what is the drop bracket for?

The drop bracket is a track bar relocation bracket. Some go with an adjustable track bar as well. Good rule of thumb is look at what the higher end leveling kits offer. BDS, Carli, Thuren etc. also your truck most likely had a recall to weld the collar that allows the alignment shop to straighten your steering wheel so be ready for additional charges. Here’s a picture of one we just finished F3019E2E-E828-4C5E-B420-B90E5B4BDC58.jpegF3019E2E-E828-4C5E-B420-B90E5B4BDC58.jpeg3C500B9E-94D5-4F9F-92C2-A22C4F39F6A3.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The Fox shocks you need are
980-24-646 and 985-24-169 you’ll need 2 of each. Hit up @Nick@GotExhaust And he will have them shipped right to you with a forum member discount. Nick will set you up with the Zone leveling kit as well. It’s a clean setup and in my opinion the best bang for the buck.

OP
OP
G

Gee whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I really appreciate the info. Thanks for your time!