Front Transmission seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Pettyjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Hey guys, I apologize if this is something that has been covered, or if I am just being a complete idiot. I recently did an engine swap in my son's 02' ram 1500 (quad cab 5.9L V8 2 wheel drive). When we did we did we must have gotten a little rough pulling it out and I think we loosened the front transmission seal, because engine runs great but all of a sudden tranny fluid is pouring out of the bell housing.

So, I dropped the transmission pan and it was pretty clean fluid with little to no metal shavings. Definitely no chunks. I then proceeded to drop and remove the rear drive shaft. I unbolted all of the tranny cooler lines and wiring harnesses as well as all of the bolts connecting the tranny to the bell housing. At this point, in my mind at least, the transmission should just slide right out of the torque converter and I should be able to replace the seal. However, it will not come loose. It is loose as all get out and I can feel no bolts connecting all the way around the bell housing, but it will not slide backwards. I shouldn't have to unbolt the torque converter from the engine should I? Any suggestions or thoughts? I'm sure it is something very simple that I'm missing, or if I'm just being stupid. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
C

Chris Pettyjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I realize now that I posted this in the wrong section.....I can not find a way to delete it. sorry

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
No you're fine. You have the 02 with the 5.9.that's a 3rd Gen body with a 2nd Gen power train. It's been over two years since I pulled my engine and trans. The Torque converter is bolted to the flex plate, and the transmission should slide out of it. If the trans isn't supported enough, it will bind on the TQ. I'm on my phone and can't see what you typed, I don't remember if you unbolted both braces that go between the engine and trans. Those will hold you up. It can also get stuck on the cross member that the trans bolts to.

You probably missed a bolt of the braces are off. I don't remember if the starter must come off first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
In my opinion it would be better to unbolt the converter from the flexplate. It's a bit time consuming yes but it keeps it from binding as mentioned coming out but more importantly it makes sure you properly install it going back in. Installing the converter in the trans before putting the trans back in would be far better than hoping you got it all seated correctly going back in

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
ALWAYS remove the torque converter with the trans and install the same way.
Mike