Fuel consumption with truck camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karl Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am considering a truck camper for my 2018 2500 Cummins diesel. Can anyone give me the highway liters/100km fuel consumption? I am also interested in comparing a hard sided truck camper and a soft sided(pop up). I assume the lower profile of the soft sided gets better fuel economy, but I'm wondering by how much. Thanks

OP
OP
K

Karl Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As you may have guessed by the request for L/100km that I'm Canadian. I will take the the results in MPG if anyone has that.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't have MPG, but watch your payload capacity with a Cummins in a 2500. I have a Tradesman 2500 gas with 2900 pounds of payload and it really restricts the options. Soft side is definitely the way to go to maximize interior space but reduce weight. Post pics when you finally buy. Good luck.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Closest I can tell you is our 3500 Chevy dually gets 10mpg unloaded and 8mpg with a 4K wet and loaded hard side camper.
Not a bit of help I know.
I agree that you will probably be limited to a pop up to save weight. The low profile will make traveling much easier and I'm sure it has a decent effect on mileage but I can't guess how much difference.
Truck campers are awesome, enjoy!