Fuel injection 5.9 to 360 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motor_mischief_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isnt exactly about a dodge ram but i didnt know where else to go with these questions. Ive got a 1976 dodge sportsman rv with a 360 that originaly utilised a holy 2 barrel (6886). Ive heard many bad things about this holy and havent been able to get it to work properly. I dont have the budget to buy a four barrel and intake manifold, however i have access to a fuel injected 5.9 magnum (same block) parts motor. I dont have a computer however, would it be reasonable to buy an ecu for this project or is there something big im missing to prevent it from working. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to the forum.

'76 Dodge RV? First off, I'd make sure the carb issues aren't actually being created by old fuel, debris coming from the fuel tank, a plugged tank vent, or a weak fuel pump. No carb will work properly without fresh clean fuel.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it would probably be more cost effective to stay carbureted than to swap to a Magnum system. To get the most for your budget, I'd try to locate a good used carb and intake. I used to seek out the 4bbl setups from the 80's 318 Dippy cop cars, but they were not a simple drop on - they did take a little fabbing and such to make them work. Even being from a 318 they were still a performance improvement over a 2bbl Holley.

Reason I say this? It's not just the carb/intake to injection swap. The two systems use two totally different intake and fuel support systems, and it could cost you more just to put in a new pump, lines, etc. than to buy a functional carb setup. Then you have to address the ECM and wiring conversion. Personally while I think that while doing a Magnum swap would make the RV a better all around powertrain - especially with an O/D trans - I would not attempt it unless I had a complete running donor vehicle to swap the whole package from.

Not trying to insult you or your mechanical abilities, but doing a Magnum swap is not an entry level project. If you don't have "muscle car era" friends familiar with old school things that don't tune with a laptop - make some. Go to some car shows and find some older Mopar guys to "intern" with. You have to learn somewhere.

Good luck with your project. Willie

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not possible without either a complete Magnum swap or an aftermarket efi system - both are much more expensive than a 4 bbl intake and carb.

Finding a used manifold shouldn't be too hard depending on where you live on either craigslist.org or ebay.

If you really have low funds and have the room in the engine area, you could run a 2bbl to 4 bbl adapter and get a small edelbrock or holley carb.

Are you sure you aren't also having ignition problems, the ignition systems were a bit weak back then?

Also a "magnum" block is not the same as your LA block.

OP
OP
M

motor_mischief_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, hadnt meant same block just meant (from what i know) same mount for the intake manifold, i know my ignition is working properly becausw when gasoline is dumped into the top of the carb the engines pops right over. I have all the injection parts because i have access to two parts engines. All i would need is a comouter, however i beleive ive found a new 2 barrel carb finaly. Ill keep it updated when i order and what not, thanks

OP
OP
M

motor_mischief_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum.

'76 Dodge RV? First off, I'd make sure the carb issues aren't actually being created by old fuel, debris coming from the fuel tank, a plugged tank vent, or a weak fuel pump. No carb will work properly without fresh clean fuel.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it would probably be more cost effective to stay carbureted than to swap to a Magnum system. To get the most for your budget, I'd try to locate a good used carb and intake. I used to seek out the 4bbl setups from the 80's 318 Dippy cop cars, but they were not a simple drop on - they did take a little fabbing and such to make them work. Even being from a 318 they were still a performance improvement over a 2bbl Holley.

Reason I say this? It's not just the carb/intake to injection swap. The two systems use two totally different intake and fuel support systems, and it could cost you more just to put in a new pump, lines, etc. than to buy a functional carb setup. Then you have to address the ECM and wiring conversion. Personally while I think that while doing a Magnum swap would make the RV a better all around powertrain - especially with an O/D trans - I would not attempt it unless I had a complete running donor vehicle to swap the whole package from.

Not trying to insult you or your mechanical abilities, but doing a Magnum swap is not an entry level project. If you don't have "muscle car era" friends familiar with old school things that don't tune with a laptop - make some. Go to some car shows and find some older Mopar guys to "intern" with. You have to learn somewhere.

Good luck with your project. Willie
The pump and lines are already being replaced, i had been running an electric pump directly into a jug of brand new gasoline and bypassing the old setup for now, so i know the carb was definatly getting good clean fuel. I have more experience with carberated engines than fuel injected lol, i beleive i may have found a carberator i should be able to use. Ill keep the thread updated. I have access to many magnum parts for cheap or free is the only reason i considered the swap

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Doing any EFI conversion is going to cost hundreds over just getting the carb fixed and set up properly

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been slowly converting my magnum 318 to a carburetor. There really is a lot of little things that need converted. If you have access to parts fuel tank with pump inside transmission and ecm 1996 1500 magnum ran the trans trough the ecu 97 or 98 have tcm and ecm.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee