Fuel water separator - maintenance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Seeking wisdom.

I heard someone say that the stopcock on the fuel filter should be opened once per month to drain any water from the fuel water separator. Any truth to this?

If so, should it be done at front AND rear? One or the other?

Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's a good practice to hit the drain about once month depending on how much you drive. Drain the rear one if you see any water drain the front too.
Diesel fuel supply is a whole lot drier than it used to be but there is still a chance water can get into the tank from the filler neck or in the correct conditions condense from inside the tank.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went 22 months before the fuel filter life meter read 4% and in all that time I never drained anything out of either filter.
Isn't that what the water in fuel sensor is for, to tell you when there is a problem.

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
I went 22 months before the fuel filter life meter read 4% and in all that time I never drained anything out of either filter.
Isn't that what the water in fuel sensor is for, to tell you when there is a problem.

I'm sure that is what it's for. However, things in life don't always work perfectly or work as planned. One specific example seen here:
So, if it only costs a fraction of a gallon of fuel and 5 minutes, I might do it. Maybe not monthly because it's not my daily driver and I'm not that aggressive about maintenance.

I'm still interested to hear other thoughts or hear if anyone has had water-in-fuel issues. Injector problems? Microbial growth or rapidly clogged fuel filters?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Since September of 2019 when I purchased my truck, I have drained a total of 1 (one) drop of water out of the rear fuel/water separator filter in 22,400 miles. I just changed both filters for the second time. I had the WIF light blink 1 time and that was when I drained the 1 drop out. I drain mine when I change the oil.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve run well over 4,000 gallons through the one I’m sitting in now. I’ve never drained it other than filter changes. I trust the sensor.

Water in fuel can happen. However I’ve been changing my own filters for 20+ years and have found none.

DangBruhY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was on a camping trip and the dealership called me and told me that it was reported that my vehicle had water in the fuel filters. I changed them as soon as I got back. Didn't look to see if there really was. It was my first time doing it and a PITA, so I didn't care either way. I had diesel all over me. Now I can do it in 15 minutes without a drop of diesel on me.