Garage build - Lots of pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, here is my new Man Cave in living color! The story behind it is that it was simply less expensive to build it than to keep paying rent on a commercial warehouse of roughly the same size. Over the past couple of years they just kept jacking their rates up and up to the point of being stupid. Shame, since they are only 5 blocks away (walking distance) and having other automotive, machine, and welding shops literally next door was pretty sweet. Oh well, they are still withing walking distance. So, we took out an equity line of credit, found a metal building company, and got the permits. Paying back the line of credit will actually save me around $500 compared to what I was paying for the warehouse.

The building is 35' wide by 30' deep with 12' walls. There are two 10x10' garage doors and two 3' entry doors. There currently is no electric or water, those are coming next. I'll be dropping in 150 amp 120/240 single phase to the building. Water will just be for a kitchen sink and a shower, draining into a French drain. No toilet, house is close enough and don't want to waste the floor space.

My wife is disabled and we very rarely used the back yard, excuse the overgrown nature preserve look in the starting photos. LOL The building is as far back in the rear left of the property as codes and easements allowed.

So here come the pics:

Welcome to the jungle -
01-Backyard 1.JPG

This clump of scrub oaks will be removed so I can access the back yard. My tree service guy said the limbs were diseased and in danger of falling on our house or the neighbor's house so we didn't need a landscaping permit to remove them. <wink><wink>

02-Backyard 2.JPG

03-Backyard 3.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
First job was to remove the jungle. If you are in the Tampa Bay, Florida area and need a damn good tree service, drop me a PM and I'll let you know who I used. I highly recommend them!

05-Tree Down.JPG

All cleaned up! Took the tree service every bit of two full days. I discovered there were houses behind ours! Who knew?! LOL

06-Backyard Clean.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Next comes the property surveys... The city vacated the alley that used to run behind our house and deeded the alley to us. So we got a full property survey to make sure where the true corners were. They the survey crew then surveyed out where the building was to be located and marked it for the first permitting inspection. Then they came out and staked out the corners of the slab. During the survey we found that our back yard was almost a foot lower than the front yard. I'll explain why this was important in a bit.

07-Survey 1.JPG

08-Survey 2.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, now it's time for things to get real... Let's bust up some ground! When Hurricane Charley blew through back in 2004, that was the most water we had ever seen in the yard. Remember how I said the back yard was a foot lower than the front? Well the back yard was completely covered with water. As in COVERED with water. The water came up to the house and was up half-way under the garage side door threshold. So even though it meant a 24" footer instead of a 12", I had the concrete contractor plan on the surface of the shop being equal to the surface of the garage. That way I could be confident that the shop wouldn't flood even in a extreme weather event. If I had just built the slab on grade... Well, who knows... I'd rather spend a few bucks up front to not have to worry about the shop.

10-Waiting on dirt.JPG

End of Concrete Day 1
11-End of Day 1.JPG

Finishing up the dirt work. To get the desired floor height, we brought in 80 yards of fill. I had originally thought I'd just get a load in the back of the truck, bring it in and spread it. Save a few bucks doing it myself. I brought in two three-yard loads in my 2500 before finding out it was going to take a bit more than that... So left it to the contractor. I'd probably still be bringing in dirt! LOL
12-Finishing up the dirt.JPG

End of Concrete Day 2
13-End of day 2.JPG

End of Concrete Day 3, waiting on the Building Inspector
14-End of day 3.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The footer inspection passed. The Inspector suggested that if I was going to pull an electrical permit at a later date, I should add the grounding wire to the footer. I didn't know the grounding wire goes to the footer now instead of driving a ground rod in under the electrical service entrance. He was awesome for letting me know that! He also came back later in the afternoon to check the grounding wire, finishing up all the inspections needed!

So let's pour some concrete!
16-Concrete pour 1.JPG

17-Concrete pour 2.JPG

19-Concrete done.JPG

Concrete drying in the Florida sun! End of Concrete Day 5
20-Concrete drying.JPG

And the final result, one big honkin' slab of Portland's best! Note the finished height above ground. I will be getting a sloped apron poured from side to side as soon as the loan is paid down a bit. Having the extra concrete, steel, and a butt load of dirt ate up the budget for now.
21-The Slab.JPG

As I said in my other "tease" post, the rear fence is going to be moved back 10' to the actual property line, there is 8' from the right side of the building to the fence that is out of camera view so no problem getting back there. It's the fence company's problem, anyway! LOL

Before the rear fence gets replaced, the property survey found that the dead pine tree, half dead scrub oak, and a clump of bamboo (out of sight to the right) are all actually on our property. Guess I'll be getting the tree service back out for round 2. The neighbor to the right rear is going to pay for half of the bamboo removal.

The wooden fence to the left actually belongs to the neighbor. It is in truly sad shape and he says he plans on replacing it with a vinyl fence. When is to be seen...

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
So now after a couple of months, the metal building company has finally gotten me on the construction list. Seems the wet Florida summer messed with their schedule a bit so it took some time to catch up. The building was supposed to have been completed before December 31. Not a real big deal, since it was their problem they "gave" me an extension. I checked with the Building Department and my permit was still open so no problem there.

Bright and early last Tuesday morning this shows up in my front yard. LOL
22-It arrives.JPG

Ya gotta love a pre-fab building. It was just one big-boy sized Erector set! Or Lego set for you kids too young to remember Erector sets! LOL
23-Laying down the frame.JPG

24-More pieces.JPG

25-More pieces.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
More random pics....

31-.JPG

32-.JPG

33-Framing detail.JPG

End of Building Day 1. These guys do NOT waste any time! All of the framing is complete, both side walls are complete, and they are starting on some of the trim.

34-Day 1 end.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Building Day 2 started too frickin' early in the morning!! Ugh! I am NOT a morning person! The crew arrived at 7am, this pic was taken around 8am after a nice hot cup of coffee. The pics following are random shots taken every so often through the day.

35-Day 2 begins.JPG

36-.JPG

37-Roof on.JPG

38-.JPG

39-Inside.JPG

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
And so here we end up. The end of Building Day 2. Yard's been cleaned up, crew is packed and gone, wife has come out and said "WTF?! You didn't say it was going to be that big!" LOL Now to move out of the ridiculously overpriced warehouse by the end of February... Plumbing will probably be next since I can just get some PVC pipe and run it from the house pretty inexpensively. Electrical will take too big of a bite out of the wallet right now so will get it done over the next few months.

From this...
01-Backyard 1.JPG

To this....

47-The ManCave.JPG

That's pretty much it, start to finish... Total investment so far $25,600 and change... I'm budgeting another $2500 or so for electrical, a thousand or so for plumbing, and a few thousand for the sloped concrete apron.

Time to get out the BBQ and a beer (or two)!

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Awesome man!! Turned out really good! Love the lofted ceiling in the building

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Awesome man!! Turned out really good! Love the lofted ceiling in the building

I liked it on this building design, too. I -may- install a 2-post lift on the left side of the building at a later date. Still a bit uncertain due to cost vs how much it will really get used. The open framing gives me lots of room for the lift.

As the building is now, it is front to back with a lot of crap. I had to move out of my old shop so as to not pay an additional month's rent so it was just shovel it in, sort it out later. And shovel it in is what it looks like right now. The right rear of the building I framed in and built a 15x12x8' (wdh) office. Then put 2x8x7' metal shelves in front of the office. The left side of the building has shelves, tool cabinets, air compressor, etc lining the wall. As soon as I get everything sorted, sold, trashed, and otherwise cleared out my '75 Bronco will move in and the restoration will commence!

IMG_7973.JPG