Gas cap issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Ok so last year my Factory gas cap goes bad, so I go to Auto Zone and get a replacement. It lasted about 2-3 months and it went bad as well so I took it back and got another. Well same issue it went bad it 2-3 mos. I went to Dodge and bought one now its bad as well after about 6 mos. WTF is going on?? The code that keeps getting thrown is 0440. I have sprayed everything in the engine bay with carb cleaner to see if it chokes out nothing.. Inspected the evap system the best I could and came up with nothing. Only thing that is left is the gas cap. Has anyone ever had this happen this often??

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the parts house actually test any of the caps to see if they were bad? Did you inspect the purge solenoid and the evaporator canister real well?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
my guess is that the real problem is your leak detection pump it is a little item but will cause this code. Please read my post from when I did my fuel tank swap I ran into same issue.
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/help_fellow_4th_gens-15240/index2.html

Part is probably pretty cheap takes like 5 minutes or less to swap out. I did not have to buy one as I just took the one off my 26 gal tank and put on 32 gallon tank and it worked ever since.