Gas cap Alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popcorn 1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The check fuel cap light came on, i bought an aftermarket one at oreillys, light stayed on. I purchased an oem cap at a dodge dealership, the light went off after a week. This was 3 weeks ago, the fuel cap light came on again today. I have a 2013 dodge bighorn with 74,000 miles and now I noticed the dash lights dim and brighten sometimes. Anybody else have this issue?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Popcorn, next time just go to a Auto Parts store & get the Codes scanned. They usually use their scan tool for Free, you just need to ask:)

The small evap leak code is usually a p0456
almost all of the lists of faults start with the Gas Cap.
If it was a Gas Cap, our Rams don't do well with after market gas caps.

The trouble shooting list should list the PURGE VALVE as #1 on the list & gas cap should maybe be last

OP
OP
P

Popcorn 1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Popcorn, next time just go to a Auto Parts store & get the Codes scanned. They usually use their scan tool for Free, you just need to ask:)

The small evap leak code is usually a p0456
almost all of the lists of faults start with the Gas Cap.
If it was a Gas Cap, our Rams don't do well with after market gas caps.

The trouble shooting list should list the PURGE VALVE as #1 on the list & gas cap should maybe be last
I did go to oreillys and code 455 and 456 popped up. The solid engine light went away in two days then the fuel cap light came on. The solid engine light has not come on again. Now the dash lights are dimming and brightening at no regular interval. I did replace with a oem fuel cap bought at a dodge dealership

AIRLORDD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 6.4
The check fuel cap light came on, i bought an aftermarket one at oreillys, light stayed on. I purchased an oem cap at a dodge dealership, the light went off after a week. This was 3 weeks ago, the fuel cap light came on again today. I have a 2013 dodge bighorn with 74,000 miles and now I noticed the dash lights dim and brighten sometimes. Anybody else have this issue?
I am having the fuel cap light come on. I bought a mopar unit about a month ago and all was well then this light started.

AIRLORDD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 6.4
I am having the fuel cap light come on. I bought a mopar unit about a month ago and all was well then this light started.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing to keep in mind; when you put the cap back on after fueling, you need to turn it until it clicks several times. Do you park outside or in a garage? I had to park my truck in the driveway at our previous home, and I started getting these fuel cap lights. Turns out the neighbor next door was trying to syphon gas out of my truck at night. There is an anti-theft device in the filler neck to keep that from happening.

GreatBu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to keep in mind; when you put the cap back on after fueling, you need to turn it until it clicks several times. Do you park outside or in a garage? I had to park my truck in the driveway at our previous home, and I started getting these fuel cap lights. Turns out the neighbor next door was trying to syphon gas out of my truck at night. There is an anti-theft device in the filler neck to keep that from happening.
You mean there are people out there who don't turn the gas cap around through many clicks so that the writing is the right way up after they fill up ? And they drive around knowing that the writing is upside down all the time ? How do they even live ???

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a similar issue on mine. 04-5.7. One of the vapor hoses had came off under truck. On driver side ,in front of tank.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
DTC Decoded: Dodge P0455

Code detection: This code indicates that there is a lack of purge flow or a fuel vapor leak within the EVAP control system. This means there is a large leak.

I would start by looking at the hoses connecting to the Purge Valve & the ESIM

Gary Hill22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L diesel
I usually leave my Ram or JeepGC running when I refuel, wife inside and AC or heat on. Never had a CEL while doing that. I did have a P0456 about 3years ago, OK installed an aftermarket cap and all is well. Why?

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Well well well, the neighbor huh? I’d be lettin the dog out to check on my truck or let Smith and Wess meet the clown stealin my fuel.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 had this. Replacing the gas cap didn't help either. Next I replaced purge control valve. $30 on Amazon and a 10 minute job. Its right up on top the engine area. Cel disappeared in a day or two.
Hope this helps......
Did you happen to blow through the bad one. Feel like I read that’s how to know. I check my purge and it seemed it was working ok. I have same light and it seems gas cap doesn’t help. Maybe it’s time I have them smoke it?

Rambeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ford van has cap light that has come on a few times. Now I push down on the cap when tightening. No more light!

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I would also replace the fuses. They are not that expensive.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
You mean there are people out there who don't turn the gas cap around through many clicks so that the writing is the right way up after they fill up ? And they drive around knowing that the writing is upside down all the time ? How do they even live ???
Apparently , they live inverted .

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well well well, the neighbor huh? I’d be lettin the dog out to check on my truck or let Smith and Wess meet the clown stealin my fuel.
My dog is a small one, around 20 pounds, and loves everybody. I had to get up at 3:30 in the morning to get ready to go to work. Our shift started at 5:00a.m. I don't own a Smith and Wesson, but I do own a Glock and a Rueger, but they were very quite about it. Fortunately, we have that anti-theft device in the filler neck.