GDE tune info needed

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by rroche1982, Jun 12, 2019.

1. rroche1982

rroche1982 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    GDE is telling me the factory can't trace their tune. Is that true?

Also does the GDE tune help with longevity of the motor by bypassing the EGR valve?

I already have a new motor in my truck from bearing failure in the bottom end. New motor at 17,000 miles, I only have 22,000 on it now. Is it too risky, in your opinion, to tune this truck?

FYI I really enjoy this truck and want it to last a long time. That is the reason I am considering tuning it, hoping for more longevity

2. buddy guy

buddy guy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    is the motor on warranty currently? if it was i wouldn't do a thing to it. that's me.

3. rroche1982

rroche1982 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    Yes it's under warranty

4. Patrity

Patrity Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 Ecodiesel
    $900 for trans and ecm tune from SFT. currently on sale for $720. It's an OBDII flash and you can flash to stock whenever you'd like.

5. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    There are a lot of GDE tuned owners that have had no problems with having warranty work done. If a dealer digs in deep enough, all tunes are detectable.
    The tune does shut down the EGR so the engine doesn't suck in soot ladden exhaust gasses back into the engine.
    GDE is a much more vetted and real world proven tune compared to SFT. There are many GDE tune trucks that are well into the +100K mile range. GDE tuned tune parameters will maintain safe operating conditions while adding power and cleaning up the combustion process.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  6. John Jensen

John Jensen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ecodiesel
    I just changed from GDE to SFT. So far very pleased. SFT has demonstrated much better response and customer-oriented than GDE.

Like said above, SFT has a Father's Day Promo of 20% off. They ran out on the first day it was announced but offer still valid.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  7. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    this^ portion is the main reason why many people go with GDE. Sure PPEI and SFT and Celtic tuning etc all make ecodiesel tunes but for those who chose GDE were looking for engine longevity

To the OP: as crash stated, GDE and all other tunes can be detected if the techs dig deep enough, if warranted. These ECM’s log everything imaginable and it’s just the gamble you take, however with the numbers of trucks on the road with GDE tune and higher mileage, they definitely do well at keeping a cleaner running engine.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  8. John Jensen

John Jensen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ecodiesel
    rroche1982,

Rather than be anxious about tune detectability you may want to discuss tuning with your Service Manager. I did and my Service Manager supports tuning in my case. My case is 95% of my trips are only 10-15 miles so the engine doesn't get to operating temps, a true soot problem, the worst thing you can do to a diesel. GDE and SFT both tune for longevity and shut off the EGR which is the big soot maker.

Bottom line, I don't have to be concerned about tune detectability.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  9. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    I know nothing about this stuff at all. I was looking at the GDE site and don't know what I'm looking at. I'm considering doing this when I get the settlement money. Can someone tell me the basics on what I'm looking at when I see the site please?

10. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    https://www.greendieselengineering....m/GDE/Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-Hot-Tune/2_37.action
    For the tune, you decide if you want to keep your original ECM(your truck will be down for a few days), exchange your ECM for a tuned one(deposit for the ECM will be refunded), or keep your stock ECM(you'll be buying a tuned ECM outright).
    Not sure where your located, but you can also drive to their shop and have them tune your ECM, it doesn't take long but call ahead.
    There is descriptions of the options, but the oil pressure one requires some minor wiring changes and a pressure sensor added. If you tow, the engine brake is recommended. If you live in a cold climate and like to warm up your truck the High Idle might be helpful.
    The Off-Road option is for doing a full delete, the DPF and SCR will need to be removed. Most people go with the Off-Road tune if they're having problems with the DPF.

tidefan1967 likes this.