Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CELMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I know there is a few threads about this. But I'm looking for advice with my specific experience. I have a 2016 Ram 1500. I had a check engine light turn on, ran the code, and it turns out it's my Active Grill Shutters... Apparently this is a common issue with not very common solutions. Anyways, I took the whole assembly apart and didn't really notice anything wrong with it. I pushed on the little arm on the original AGS Motor and it closed itself. This made me believe that it can't be the wiring, as it is obviously receiving power if it closed automatically. So I figured it must be the little AGS motor that is having issues. So I ordered a new AGS motor off Amazon from IAMAUTO. Took the assembly back apart and the second I plugged the new motor in the little arm on the actuator closed automatically... Okay cool it's working... sike. I put it all back together, took the battery off the terminal to reset the light, and about 1 minute into driving it the CEL came back on. I turned the truck on and off a few times testing to see if the doors are opening and closing and they are not.

There appears to be no issue with the actual grill shutters themselves. The little motor has been replaced and still not working. The little arm on the actuator is moving when plugged in so I assumed the wires are fine. I examined them and there is a little ding in the black wire.. which i'd assume is ground. Could this potentially be the issue?? If the little arm is moving automatically when plugged in is the wiring fine? Does anyone know if the doors have to start either up or down before starting the vehicle? Not sure what to replace at this point. It would be great if there was something to completely bypass this stupid issue. My understanding is the truck opens and closes the doors to check if they are working upon starting up. But the little arm on the actuator does not move up and down when I start the truck. It only moved down when originally plugged in. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When the motor is activated, it goes thru a self calibration cycle. If the arm moves too much or little, the CEL lights up.

I took my shutters off and fabricated a fake stop for the arm (the motor needs to remain in the system). It calibrates fine and have never seen a code from it. The cable is long enough so that I remounted the motor behind the radiator support, out of sight.

It's not difficult to fab up. Check out the utube vids on it.

OP
OP
C

CELMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When the motor is activated, it goes thru a self calibration cycle. If the arm moves too much or little, the CEL lights up.

I took my shutters off and fabricated a fake stop for the arm (the motor needs to remain in the system). It calibrates fine and have never seen a code from it. The cable is long enough so that I remounted the motor behind the radiator support, out of sight.

OP
OP
C

CELMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When I plug in the motor, the arm moves to where it opens the doors. But it never closes them. Essentially the arm never moves back. So I don’t think this would work in my case. Any ideas why that might be happening? Wish I could attach a video to show what I’m talking about.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Opens, but doesn't close and motor has been replaced....... Hmmm Maybe new motor if kaput, too. Has happened before.

Check the connector to see if no pins damaged / corroded.
Check wiring to be sure none is damaged / rodent damaged.
Check ECU connectors to make sure pins not damaged / corroded.
Put meter on the wiring to ensure signals getting there.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the specific code? Good chance there is more than one code in the AGS circuit that could be setting. Not sure what your experience or skill level is, but the proper way to test it is to get a test light or volt meter and check out the wires. You will need a diagram to see what wire is doing what. Not sure if the system is power or ground side switched (meaning are you supplying it voltage to do something, or does it have full time power and you are applying a ground to make the motor work). But you need to check to see if you are actually getting a signal to the motor. If it runs at all when you plug it in, I would suspect the power and ground is fine but you are missing the control signal.......meaning nothing is telling it to open or close so not supplying power, or the command, to the motor. Most people do not have the high level diagnostic tools that good shops do, but a good scan tool will show if there is actually a command signal getting to the AGS.
I hate taking stuff to a shop and paying the prices also, but you can also spend a lot of time and money throwing random parts at it hoping you pick the right one.