opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Looking for peoples opinions on what to do here.

I was in Hamilton coming from London (200km), cruising down the highway and truck suddenly started knocking. The knocking started fairly loud but deep at first then quickly became much quieter, cant really hear it outside of vehicle but sitting in drivers seat you can hear it. Drove back to London and by the time I got here the knocking was all but gone, next day I picked up oil and filter, swear knocking was completely gone, pulled into garage and did drain and fill, sure enough fine metal particles in filter (at this point I wasn't even sure it was a bearing knock or say funky injector missfueling issue). Refilled and fired up and in the garage, you can hear the knock but just barely. All this kinda tells me this motor is very rebuildable and I'm trying to decide which route to go.

I can pull the motor myself and bring it to rebuilders in toronto, there are companies there who rebuild ecodiesels, there's machine shops in london but seems nobody doing rebuilds so not sure I want to go through the trouble locally. Pulling the motor myself has the advantages of pulling intake and cleaning, replacing turbo coolant line and doing all the belt pullies and belt while it's out. The one stop goat shop seems to charge $2,000 for an engine swap which seems very fair and I have yet to contact him about rebuilding, he doesn't like emails and I can't hear very well over the phone :). It's a 2015 longhorn limited with 147,000km, air suspension etc, top of the line Leer topper and bed rug, completely gone over and newer cooper discoverer at3 tires, actually a nice truck. Too valuable to scrap but not valuable enough to justify a new motor. Another option is to see if I can list it for sale in the states, don't know if the american sites allow adverts from canada, with exchange rates as they are, high used truck values in states and americans paying far far less to rebuild this motor than we pay up here it may be a win win if I sell it down there.

I really don't want to go through all the trouble of yanking the motor myself but there are advantages also, I can clean up engine bay, maybe some maintenance items in there are much easier without a motor and I can inspect things and address any issues spotted. She's a hard decision.

Market value without topper seems to be around $25,000 CAD (likely worth $20,000 trade in), I can buy a rebuilt motor for $7,500 CAD, I'm thinking I can get my motor rebuilt for like $4,000 CAD but this is a guess, hard to get a quote on such things. If I do removal/instal myself I'm likely needing $600 in equipment which I can resell + lost time or assume $2,000 one stop goat shop but I would have to get the truck flat bedded there.

any views would be greatly apreciated, thanks guys.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You need to get actuals to find out what your options are. We can all guess on possibilities, but ultimately it comes down to your desire, and what the cost is, and the warranty you get. You have ruled out new engine, so either a reman or rebuild.

Not sure of values in Canada, but my opinion is your values for private sale and trade-in are on the high side. Without an engine I think you might be in 10k trade (or sale) and 17 trade with a reman engine, direct sale maybe 19 with reman engine. But if you put a reman engine in I would keep it. If you rebuild your engine it is a question how much you trust the person. I personally wouldn't search for cheapest but rather who gives the longest warranty, should be higher quality. If rebuilding I would have place do all work, if something goes wrong during reinstall it is all in you, pay them so they have to deal with anything. And steer clear of anyone you can't get in touch with that easily now when trying to give your money to them. They will be non-existent after the working if a problem arises.

Good luck.

OP
OP
V

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Thank you for the reply, I agree. I'm getting different quotes for different strategies. Either way will run it for atleast a year or sell without motor.