Gear Ratios on the 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I've found the exact truck I'm looking for in a 2020 Laramie with the sport appearance package and off-road group. It has every option i'm wanting, except this dealer opted not to order it with the 3.92 gear ratio. it is the 3.21. I don't do a ton of towing and when I do once or twice a year, it's a small trailer. I won't lift the truck, however I will level it and run 33 inch 10 ply tires. Would the 3.92's handle the heavier tire ok or is that a deal breaker that I should hold off for and look for one with the 3.92's?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say 33s on 3.21 on a leveled truck is fine. Your stocks are around 32-33” anyways. You will take a slight hit in mpg going to a 10 ply. Maybe find an 8 ply LT D rated instead of E rated and it’ll help keep sone weight down. I think pro comp has a set in a metric 33 that is d rated. If you’re not towing over 6,000 lbs I really wouldn’t be worried about lt tire ratings and the 3.21 gears are good for 8000 lbs anyways.

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
My Warlock has the 3.21. I rarely tow. Maybe twice a year I'll tow a 5x8 trailer. If the Ridgline can tow a 5x8 without any issues I figure the Warlock with 3.21 is fine.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me the lack of the 3.92's is a deal-breaker. I think the truck you describe will tow fine, I just think the 3.92's will do a much better job.
Jay

I agree with Jay on this. I had. ‘14 Laramie with 3.21 gears, level kit and stock tires and wheels. It ran well but when I towed my 14x7 enclosed with 2 full sized Harleys in it, the truck constantly searched for gears or downshifted every time I hit any hill on the highway. With my ‘17 Rebel, 3.92 gears and same trailer and load locks in a 8th gear and stays there unless I’m climbing a decent sized incline with the cruise on and I loose substantial speed.

Good luck with whichever you get.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rarely tow, but do put on a lot of highway miles. I am happy with 3.21s. It was the same boat for me truck had exact options and colors I wanted, just missing that one single option. I certainly don’t regret the decision to buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback guys. Still torn on this as there's so much conflicting opinions on this. I don't want to settle and get the 3.21's and always wonder 'what if'. Like I said, I rarely tow. But with the heavier tires, I still want as much power as possible. Just wasn't sure on how much power will be lost from the heavier tires and a level. I haven't driven one with either yet. My current 4th gen has the 3.55's with the 6 speed and when I put the 10 ply's on it, I noticed the difference. But I've read where the 8 speeds make it not as noticeable. So I'm just trying to research as much as possible on it at this point.

Mrbullred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same worries. I found a truck that I really wanted but it had the 3.21 gears. I went ahead and traded my 2019 longhorn anyway for a 2020 Built-to-serve edition with the 3.21's. I then put a 2" RC level kit and a set of 35" Nitto's. (295/65r20) No searching for gears at any speed range. Still trying to figure out how much if any gas mileage I'm losing as my speedometer is about 7 mph at 70. But I tow my 22ft bayboat with no trouble weekly. You will definitely be fine. BTW no rubbing and no mods.3e10f55f76f81368aa83579c09c31886.jpg1d7354359317738480259b7d742708b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Searching for Gears, under a load and going up an incline really is dependent on the Grade. We all live in different areas.

I have the 3:92.
Many are happy with their 3.21 and pull all kinds of trailers, some even a lot more trailer than common sense would dictate.

I would never go for a 3.21 simply because the 3.92 is so much damn fun.
Yes, it costs me in replacing a tire more often but I blame it on the Boy.

I really think you will not have a many, if any, issues with a 3.21.

I also think that, while driving your new 3.21 truck, anything and everything
will make you wish you had stuck to your guns and got a 3.92.

Why give yourself a potential reason to have buyers remorse,
on something which you purchase, a relatively small number of, during your lifetime?

Unless you are one of the lucky/dumb few who get a new vehicle every year or three.
In that case, carry on.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
worst case, you get new gears swapped in. you could do 3.73 or 4.10 if you wanted as well.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback guys. Still torn on this as there's so much conflicting opinions on this. I don't want to settle and get the 3.21's and always wonder 'what if'. Like I said, I rarely tow. But with the heavier tires, I still want as much power as possible. Just wasn't sure on how much power will be lost from the heavier tires and a level. I haven't driven one with either yet. My current 4th gen has the 3.55's with the 6 speed and when I put the 10 ply's on it, I noticed the difference. But I've read where the 8 speeds make it not as noticeable. So I'm just trying to research as much as possible on it at this point.

I got the 392s in my truck and every day I’m so happy that I did, and that I didn’t allow myself to buy one that had the 321s. Granted, I don’t tow that much either myself and when I do, it’s a little 10-foot utility trailer but as someone else already said, that 392 rear end is just so much fun. lol. And even though I said I don’t tow that much and even when I do it’s a small trailer but see, it’s kinda like my 4-wheel drive- I may not hardly use it at all but I like knowing it’s there and that I got it in case I need it. I’d rather my trailer-towing capacity not be reduced because of the higher gear ratio and the constant shifting from the drivetrain trying to compensate for it.

If I try to keep my foot out of it, I can still get fairly decent fuel mileage in my opinion that’s even better than I’ve had in any other full-size truck I’ve had prior. I realize I could get probably upwards into the 20s or even passed the 20s if I had the 321s but as far as to me, I don’t drive my truck that much to really take advantage of that much fuel savings or to even really feel that much of a crunch from the decreased mileage that I get right now.

I can tell you I probably never will but if someday after I get the truck paid off and I get a wild hair up my ass and wanna raise my truck up to put 35s under it, I like knowing that my lower gear ratio will help compensate for that even though there’s been other members say that their higher gears and taller tires really don’t affect anything. That’s all fine and dandy but what works for them, may not necessarily work for somebody else.

But maybe you’d be fine with 321’s, maybe you won’t. But at least like it’s already been said, if you go for a truck that has the higher gears, it won’t be cheap unless you have the facilities, tools and know how to do it yourself, you can always yank the old ones out and put in lower ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had both the 3.21s and 3.92s with 8 speed transmissions. In your case either will do fine. My 14 that had the 3.21s came stock with 33" tires. Don't beat yourself up over it. I guarantee if all you do is level it, add 33" E rated tires (or even up to 35s) and tow a small trailer you'll be fine. Hell, if you towed 5k pounds you'd be fine. Get it and be happy. And don't get all ocd about it. You'll only drive yourself crazy.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I've had both the 3.21s and 3.92s with 8 speed transmissions. In your case either will do fine. My 14 that had the 3.21s came stock with 33" tires. Don't beat yourself up over it. I guarantee if all you do is level it, add 33" E rated tires (or even up to 35s) and tow a small trailer you'll be fine. Hell, if you towed 5k pounds you'd be fine. Get it and be happy. And don't get all ocd about it. You'll only drive yourself crazy.

sez the man who had 3.21 and now got 3.92

lol

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck I have now was on the lot. If it had 3.21s I woulda bought it just the same.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, I've found the exact truck I'm looking for in a 2020 Laramie with the sport appearance package and off-road group. It has every option i'm wanting, except this dealer opted not to order it with the 3.92 gear ratio. it is the 3.21. I don't do a ton of towing and when I do once or twice a year, it's a small trailer. I won't lift the truck, however I will level it and run 33 inch 10 ply tires. Would the 3.92's handle the heavier tire ok or is that a deal breaker that I should hold off for and look for one with the 3.92's?

There is absolutely no reason the 3.21 won’t do anything you describe. 33 inch 10 ply tires fit without a lift or level on 4th Gen trucks. Not sure about our 5th Gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Essentially 400hp and the Z series transmission makes the diff gears far less of a factor than the “old days” except when towing max loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of good points going both ways. I went to a closer dealer today and told them exactly what I want and with the 3.92. He is supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know what he finds. If he can find me one and cut me a deal close to the good deal on the other one, I'm going to go with it. I'm thinking it will be hard for me to get him down though because the other one with the 3.21 is a dang good deal. However it's about 250 miles away as well. I'm just going to see what I find out from this local dealer and then go from there I reckon.