Getting a new valve body at 33k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scar1331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my truck is a 2018 with 33k miles and I got a check engine lite with p0870 and p2706 dealership called and said new valve body.... (glad I didn’t delete yet) have everything ready to go at 36k.

They also tried to get me with a emissions cleaning for 400$- is t that only a ccv filter change?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So my truck is a 2018 with 33k miles and I got a check engine lite with p0870 and p2706 dealership called and said new valve body.... (glad I didn’t delete yet) have everything ready to go at 36k.

They also tried to get me with a emissions cleaning for 400$- is t that only a ccv filter change?

every guy with a cummins with an rfe needs to watch these video's, moving forward you may want to upgrade the valve body with a plate and all of the upgrades in these video's, I post them for info it would be up to you to decide on a brand. My brother lost 3 transmissions in his cummins before he went to a manual, maybe if he would have upgraded the trans he could have avoided the pain. He towed real heavy as business, so consider that. But, if that isn't you, it might make sense just to upgrade the valve body and maybe tune for psi, you might just save that transmission. I'd enquirer about what valve body did they use, my bet is just a stock oem replacement, which is why they fail in the first place. I'd get a metal thread upgrade while I had the pan dropped, we have had guys on ram forum lose tranny because of the plastic thread when they break.

I don't know about emissions cleaning, but I have heard it is necessary, I'd research and dyi if I could. Generally I don't use dealer for maintenance, they can be sharkish at times.

OP
OP
Scar1331

Scar1331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks,

I had planned on doing this woth the delete, guess I’m going in a little earlier...

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have a 2014 that I bought two years ago with 60,000 miles on it. I changed all of my fluids over the next few months. When I changed my trans fluid at 68,000 miles I looked over the valve body. There was one bolt backed out a few threads, and another I was able to turn using only my fingertips. They were both holding the accumulator plate on, which is one of the weak links of the stock valve body. I tightened them back up, and at 72,000 miles, I removed it, and put on a Revmax valve body, deep pan, and trans cooler solenoid bypass. I also got a tuner for the truck in order to run higher line pressure. I'm currently at 88,000 miles, and haven't had any issues.

As far as the emissions cleaning, they are trying to pull one over on you. The first version of EGR systems required you to remove and clean them closer to 75k, maybe 100k miles. They changed up the systems and this isn't necessary anymore. It isn't on my 2014, and your 2018 should be the same components.