Getting the right tire/wheel look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I seem to always miss the look I'm going for. I understand how offsets and back spacing works. What I guess I don't understand is how to buy them to get the look I want. Missed on 2 sets of wheels on my Duramax so on this truck I'm going to try it again. Maybe I'm asking the wheels and tires to do something they're not capable of. I like the shorter wider stance look vs the taller lifted look. I want to go with a 17x9 wheel and run a 305/70/17 tire. Is it possible to get that wider look with that combo? The wheels I found at discount that I like only have a 12mm offset. I'm guessing that's not going to give me the look I want so what offset should I look for?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How far out past the fender opening do you want the tire?

A stock Ram 8-lug 17 x 8 wheel has a 43mm positive offset. Subtract 12mm from that at you have 31mm which equals 1.22 inches. Adding the additional width of the tire on one side will give you an idea of how that combination will set on the truck.

OP
OP

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
A 305 tire is 1.58" wider than a 265 tire so that would be about 3/4" both directions. So would that mean the total would be about 2" towards the outside?

OP
OP

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Still trying to figure this out. Thinking about a 33x12.5 tire and looking to put it on a 17x10 -24 wheel. That should space it out about 3" from stock. Not sure if that's too much though and if I'll need to level for that.

Last edited: