Glass Distortion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Picked up my 2024 Limited Saturday (in the rain), so I didn't notice this right away. But the driver's door glass is distorted. The grass and pavement "waves" at me when backing out the driveway. When the evening sun hits the glass at an angle you can see the pattern in the glass from outside the truck.
Incidentally, the chrome trim around the glass has a dent in it just under the mirror - not sure if that's related.

Man, I hate to have the children at the dealership removing my door panel to replace glass.

Anyone else ever see this?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
are you wearing polarized glasses by any chance?
It would be a warranty issue, bring the truck back to your salesperson first, more likely to get any pushback from the service department if the sales brings it to their attention. Unless the service department is one of the good ones an won't give you any grief about warranty.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Door glass is tempered, not laminated like windsheilds. What you describe sounds like that process went amuck. It's more common than some may think, and there is the possibility that your replacement may do a similar thing. Not sayng your should put up with it, just suggesting you not get your hopes up for a simple fix.

50 Front

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The front side windows are acoustic which i think means they are laminated.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Good info... it's not the windshield. Just the drivers door glass. All other windows seem fine.
I mentioned it to the service guy when I called to order some accessories. I'm mostly worried about them taking my door apart to fix it. I don't trust anyone to do anything for me. Very few care about the quality of work (those guys all retired).

Not my sunglasses glasses - I wear polarized exclusively, so I know better than that.

I just can't tell if it's the actual glass or the tinting. But this is definitely not something you can just deal with. It's very noticeable when pulling out from a stop sign.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
<<<<<<<<<< Native to Florida. It absolutely can be the tinting, but that absolutley is a common problem with Ram glass. Only one way to find out...Remove the tint.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
<<<<<<<<<< Native to Florida. It absolutely can be the tinting, but that absolutley is a common problem with Ram glass. Only one way to find out...Remove the tint.
Remove the tinting?? Not sure how you do that with factory glass/tint - isn't it mixed into the glass?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Remove the tinting?? Not sure how you do that with factory glass/tint - isn't it mixed into the glass?
down if Florida, aftermarket tinting of windows is quite commonplace as in there is not many people who don't tint the side windows.

There's no way to "remove" the factory window tint without replacing the glass

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You have to go to the dealership & they will have a glass guy stop by the dealership.
Use your Warranty

The only question they ask at a Mobile Glass shop is, do you want Chinese or American Glass

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
down if Florida, aftermarket tinting of windows is quite commonplace as in there is not many people who don't tint the side windows.

This. I "assumed" you were referring to aftermarket tinting. My bad.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The OEM glass itself is tinted so there's no removing it. That's what gives the ~20% darkness when it rolls off the assembly line. Many people put aftermarket tint on as the OEM "dip" only provides privacy and has no other properties. You might get a little heat rejection because of the darker color but that's it.

Your only two solutions are live with it or let the dealership disassemble your door to replace the glass.

My RAM was the first vehicle I had others work on in over 15 years. Prior to that I did all the wrenching so it was v-e-r-y hard to let go and watch someone else drive it away and fix it without me knowing that everything was done right.

This was my first new vehicle and warranty so took advantage of it. After the first couple of trips to service it got easier. If it was free I was going to take advantage of it. If I thought there might be an issue I took a bunch of pictures of the area so that if it came back with a scratch or misalignment I would show the service advisor pictures of before taking the keys.

It's free so my vote would be to have the dealership fix it. If it bothers you now how do you think you will feel seeing (and knowing) the issue every day you own the truck?

Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Getting it tinted is on my todo list... but I have to wait to get this issue resolved. I have video showing the effect, but I'm not sure how to upload a .mov file.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good info... it's not the windshield. Just the drivers door glass. All other windows seem fine.
I mentioned it to the service guy when I called to order some accessories. I'm mostly worried about them taking my door apart to fix it. I don't trust anyone to do anything for me. Very few care about the quality of work (those guys all retired).

Not my sunglasses glasses - I wear polarized exclusively, so I know better than that.

I just can't tell if it's the actual glass or the tinting. But this is definitely not something you can just deal with. It's very noticeable when pulling out from a stop sign.
You have a right to be worried. I remember taking a truck in for an issue where they pulled the door panel and after they did that it always had an air leak.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I was worried about the A/C TSB where they have to take out the whole dash. My dealership still wouldn't do it as there was a high risk of damaging things that they would have to eat the price on. I weighed the options and decided it was worth the risk as I would always wonder if I should have had it done (my A/C sucked). I kept taking the truck in and eventually they said yes and did the TSB. My dash was perfect and was worried about the end product after reassembly. When I got the truck back everything was done great and the A/C was 1000% better.

My recommendation is to find a dealership that gives you the warm fuzzy and have it done. Take a bunch of pictures of the door and express your concerns to the service advisor. If you treat them right they will treat you right. Some of them only care about their paycheck but a lot care about doing their job well too. You just have to find them.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Door glass is tempered, not laminated like windsheilds. What you describe sounds like that process went amuck. It's more common than some may think, and there is the possibility that your replacement may do a similar thing. Not sayng your should put up with it, just suggesting you not get your hopes up for a simple fix.
Laminated door glass is returning in some car lines.
I remember old cars from the 50's and 60's getting cracks in the side (door) glass which were laminated and the glass would begin to cloud up!
I wonder why the laminants are returning, though! Peace!