Grab Handle Water Leak - 2014 Crew Cab - NO SUNROOF! NO CAB LIGHTS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
All,

I know that this has been addressed quite a few times, but most threads do not have a resolution. We've been getting rain steadily for the past few days, and my driver's grab handle leaked water out of the top mounting hole this morning. I've noticed a wet circle on my mat in the past week, but I was puzzled until the water dripped on my leg today.

Truck specifics: 2014 Ram Bighorn Crew Cab with sharkfin antenna. I do not have cab lights or a sunroof.

Anyhow, after searching through thread after thread after thread, I'm going to try and diagnose what's going on. I found this little tidbit from @dav8388 in another thread, and I'm going to give the bubble test a shot.

I assume your talking about the grab handle. Many things can cause that. Satellite radio antenna, sun roof drains, or a leaking windshield. Some say the third brake light but I don't see that leaking that far forward. One trick is turn your HVAC fan on high, close all doors and windows. Spray the satellite antenna, windshield trim, ect with soppy water until you see bubbles. Or I'd remove as much trim as I could and sit inside while someone sprays the outside with a hose.

Most of the other threads did not have a final resolution or follow up from the OP, but I will update this thread as needed.

Preliminary investigation:
- After hearing about the leaking third brake lights, I have noticed that mine doesn't seat very well. Also, there is some dampness around the back seat trim. I'm thinking this is part of the issue, but not all of it.
- Frequently during rain, I will get a cellular error on my 8.4 radio. My hunch was that the antenna was allowing moisture to get inside of it, and cause issues. I plan on checking this antenna for tightness and checking the seals as well. I'm thinking this also might be part of the issue, too.
- Door seal appears to be in good condition. No moisture found on headliner at the immediate vicinity.
- The windshield finishing trim on the sides was lifted slightly with debris underneath. I lifted this carefully out of the clips and cleaned underneath it. There is a very degraded felt gasket underneath here as well. Thinking this may require some sealant in the future.

This evening I'm going to try and check the sat antenna and third brake light for bubbles, and will report back.

Again, please do not suggest that my sunroof drains are clogged or pinched as I do not have one.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put some clear silicone around the sharkfin. Mine peed out the handle one morning, I put a bead of silicone around the sharkfin and it hasn’t peed again. You can get fancy and drop the headliner, loosen the mtg and put the silicone under it if you like. For the record my 3rd brake doesn’t leak a drop, I changed that gasket when the truck was couple months old before it leaked.

OP
OP
TheBlackSheep

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
- Cleaned and reseated the third brake light tonight. Screws were definitely loose. Need to replace gasket, ASAP.
- Removed shark fin that was very loose, cleaned gasket, locktite and tightened.

OP
OP
TheBlackSheep

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
On the rainy drive to work this morning, got the error on the radio that the phone isn't working again. Looking like I'm going to have to replace the antenna.

No leaks this morning, but I'll keep this updated in case others have similar issues.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi TheBlackSheep,

Have your efforts solved your problem long term? I have had my truck about 20 months, and I am thinking about replacing the third brake light gasket and re-sealing the sharkfin as a preventive measure.

JB1,

Did you order up a Mopar replacement gasket, or was there some other alternative?

Thanks in advance

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On the rainy drive to work this morning, got the error on the radio that the phone isn't working again. Looking like I'm going to have to replace the antenna.

No leaks this morning, but I'll keep this updated in case others have similar issues.

There is one other area that has been known to leak,and that's the rubber sealing strips that run the length of the cab.Doubt that's your issue,but just pointing it out so you know they can be another leak area.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is one other area that has been known to leak,and that's the rubber sealing strips that run the length of the cab.Doubt that's your issue,but just pointing it out so you know they can be another leak area.

Do you mean on the top of the roof?

OP
OP
TheBlackSheep

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Mine ended up being both the satellite radio antenna and 3rd brake light leaking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

skyline090

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took mine into the dealer for the same issue after noticing it for the 1st time, leaking driver side grab handle, top screw. Dealer told me its a leak in the windshield where it seals. They couldn't fix it so I called a local windshield glass co. I was told its not uncommon and they can usually pull the windshield and reseal in most cases. I would have had them do it but I've only experienced the leak one time.

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14 express, no sunroof and no cab lights. Out of the blue I noticed a small wet spot on my pass floor mat. Yesterday driving in the rain I watched water drip out of the upper grab handle bolt hole.

I have read something about a Dodge "star case" where they say the factory weld robots skipped a roof to jamb section and it lets water in. People report the dealership welded this area and it stopped the leak. But I can't find any more information showing this defect. I would prefer to seal with silicone vs welding...

I doubt it is this welded issue since the leak started 6 years from new unless perhaps the door seal shrunk and exposed this area??

OP
OP
TheBlackSheep

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I would check the headliner at the back corners for leaks. Mine ended up being the third brake light. I upgraded the gasket, and no issues since.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have read something about a Dodge "star case" where they say the factory weld robots skipped a roof to jamb section and it lets water in. People report the dealership welded this area and it stopped the leak. But I can't find any more information showing this defect. I would prefer to seal with silicone vs welding...

I doubt it is this welded issue since the leak started 6 years from new unless perhaps the door seal shrunk and exposed this area??
Mine had the failed weld issue on the driver side. I think it was the second winter that it first got noticed.

The missing weld(s) were under the seal that run from the windshield to the rear window.

The resolution was using epoxy and replacing the seals.