Greaseable vs non-greaseable U-Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Howdy,

Just wanted to discuss some U-Joint options. Any pros or cons to a greaseable U-joint over a non-greaseable? I read online that a non-greaseable is stronger but a greaseable will last longer? Does anyone actually take the time to grease their U-joints and is it worth the time to do so to have them supposedly last longer vs. be slightly stronger?

Alvin York

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L H.O
I have replaced U-Joints for a lot of years and have never heard that a non-greaseable U-Joint is stronger, but I wouldn't swear to it. If you buy a quality u-joint, like say a MOOG, it should last for over 100,000 miles, greaseable or non-greaseable, unless your truck is lifted, placing more strain on the joint. I grease my u-joints at every oil change. If I replace a joint, I look for the replacement joint to have a Zerk fitting as they are very easy to grease. The fitting on my last 2017 2500 had a grease fitting on the front driveshaft that needed a small attachment to basically push into the grease fitting. It was messy. Have not checked my 22, probably still the same grease joint though.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had a rear u-joint on my ’16 start to fail years ago. Replaced them both with greasable versions. Given the choice, I will always choose greasable anything over non. If you can break a u-joint, you’re probably doing something your truck wasn’t meant to do.

Mine had a bad seal and the rollers corroded and wore to dust. Started with a high speed squeal that went to a clunk and shudder very quickly (1day). Parts store had them within a day and I had them swapped out in an hour.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I grease mine along with all other zerks at each oil change.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Son bought a MOOG U Joint that turned needle bearings to powder in a month. Made in China. Went and got one from SKF made in Mexico, and np.

Anyway, the 'ol "sealed for life" gag was all marketing speak to sucker more buyers for less maintenance. There is no such thing. The only question is how long the "life" is gonna be before replacement is needed.

In regreasable days, if you regreased according to schedule and didn't blow out the seals, oftentimes they never needed replacement. The new sealed for life have improved seals, but eventually leak and fail - been seeing north of 100,000 miles.

By the time they blow, they probably will only last another set, so makes little difference. I guess I'd replace with regreasable just out of purist pursuits - and if you plan to run the vehicle into the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley