Gremlin4x Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Bought a brand new 2018 Power Wagon back in October.
View media item 27210Before I talk about my Wagon I must explain the name "Gremlin." For the last 4.5 years the wife and I have been exploring and rock crawling in a slightly modified 2012 FJ Cruiser. A long the way we've encountered a few mechanical set backs, some self inflicted do to skill level and some self inflicted do to lifestyle choices. Over time we learned to embrace all the little gremlins we've experienced as learning opportunities and great fodder for all the stories we'd later tell.
View media item 27214As our family grew we decided it was time to step up to something bigger, so logically the Power Wagon was our first choice (sorry Raptor guys). First impression? Well, this thing is huge! Its like trying to rock crawl an Aircraft Carrier.
View media item 27212View media item 27213Not willing to leave well enough alone the mods have begun. I have big plans for this rig but with a move to Alaska looming it was time to upgrade some lights. I began with installing a sPod mated to an AEV switch bezel above the radio.
View media item 27216View media item 27217Next came the lighting
View media item 27218The idea for the lighting set up was stollen from a build over on expedition portal
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/surus-2017-power-wagon-build.184709/page-17
In the fog light pockets are Baja Designs amber Squadron Sports and clear Squadron Pros. A pillar mounts are from SDHQ with Baja Designs Squadron Racers. My littlest kid had a great time helping me install them.
View media item 27219View media item 27221View media item 27220All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the set up. The Amber lights are wired to the factory fog light light switch while the Pro's and Racer's are on separate circuits.

Before leaving Arizona we took the family out for one more day in the desert. My oldest is really starting to get into the offloading and wanted to show off his rig next to the Wagon.
View media item 27222View media item 27224Mid February it was time to start north to Alaska. People raised their eyebrows at the thought of driving the Alaska Highway in the winter but I had no issues and the scenery was breath taking. For full disclosure, we've lived here before and the roads came at no surprise to us.
View media item 27225The lighting worked out great and was super helpful for avoiding any wild life up in the north country.
View media item 27226A note on the stock DuraTracs. I've read a lot of threads of folks complaining about the DuraTracs. I've only got about 10,000 miles on them but they've seem to do really well on the snow and ice through Canada and up here in Alaska. As for there durability, I guess time will tell.
View media item 27227We hope to add to this truck and this forum in the future, but now that we've made it up here its time for our pocket books to recover slightly before I begin the next mod. I think I see 37s in my future!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice post. Welcome. Cant view any of your pics though

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great intro, it’s a shame the pics don’t work

OP
OP
Gremlin4x

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
New to the site, not sure what I messed up with the pics. Hopefully they work now.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Nice! We just left Texas to Arizona. Was almost about to go to Alaska but kiddos wanted to be close to family.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pics are working now. What bracket did you use for the fog light mount?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Nice photos.

I love the Load Range E Duratrac tires too on my 1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne K1500. Outstanding winter traction and are good wearing. On my Power Wagon I had every intention of purchasing the 35 12.50R17 Load Range E Duratrac tires. However, when the OEM tires wore down to a 5/32" tread depth they had two separate occasions of 3/4" to 1" sized pebbles puncturing easily through them. Purchased some Load Range E tires with a 3 ply carcass instead due to it's a 1 ton in weight heavier truck than my 1/2 ton. Most are Mud Terrains which aren't designed for the extreme cold hard packed and icy road conditions of winter, but instead they are for getting it through mud and sharp rock. The choices for a good heavy duty tire during the winter seasons are somewhat limited.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Bought a brand new 2018 Power Wagon back in October.
View media item 27210Before I talk about my Wagon I must explain the name "Gremlin." For the last 4.5 years the wife and I have been exploring and rock crawling in a slightly modified 2012 FJ Cruiser. A long the way we've encountered a few mechanical set backs, some self inflicted do to skill level and some self inflicted do to lifestyle choices. Over time we learned to embrace all the little gremlins we've experienced as learning opportunities and great fodder for all the stories we'd later tell.
View media item 27214As our family grew we decided it was time to step up to something bigger, so logically the Power Wagon was our first choice (sorry Raptor guys). First impression? Well, this thing is huge! Its like trying to rock crawl an Aircraft Carrier.
View media item 27212View media item 27213Not willing to leave well enough alone the mods have begun. I have big plans for this rig but with a move to Alaska looming it was time to upgrade some lights. I began with installing a sPod mated to an AEV switch bezel above the radio.
View media item 27216View media item 27217Next came the lighting
View media item 27218The idea for the lighting set up was stollen from a build over on expedition portal
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/surus-2017-power-wagon-build.184709/page-17
In the fog light pockets are Baja Designs amber Squadron Sports and clear Squadron Pros. A pillar mounts are from SDHQ with Baja Designs Squadron Racers. My littlest kid had a great time helping me install them.
View media item 27219View media item 27221View media item 27220All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the set up. The Amber lights are wired to the factory fog light light switch while the Pro's and Racer's are on separate circuits.

Before leaving Arizona we took the family out for one more day in the desert. My oldest is really starting to get into the offloading and wanted to show off his rig next to the Wagon.
View media item 27222View media item 27224Mid February it was time to start north to Alaska. People raised their eyebrows at the thought of driving the Alaska Highway in the winter but I had no issues and the scenery was breath taking. For full disclosure, we've lived here before and the roads came at no surprise to us.
View media item 27225The lighting worked out great and was super helpful for avoiding any wild life up in the north country.
View media item 27226A note on the stock DuraTracs. I've read a lot of threads of folks complaining about the DuraTracs. I've only got about 10,000 miles on them but they've seem to do really well on the snow and ice through Canada and up here in Alaska. As for there durability, I guess time will tell.
View media item 27227We hope to add to this truck and this forum in the future, but now that we've made it up here its time for our pocket books to recover slightly before I begin the next mod. I think I see 37s in my future!

The OEM Duratracs do just fine in winter conditions. Come summertime I can take you on a trail that will inspire (or force) you to ditch them as soon as you can. Welcome to the PW community and welcome back to AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gremlin4x

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The OEM Duratracs do just fine in winter conditions. Come summertime I can take you on a trail that will inspire (or force) you to ditch them as soon as you can. Welcome to the PW community and welcome back to AK.

Thanks! My hope over the short run is to maybe run two sets of tires and keep the DuraTracs for winter. That is unless someone has a good recommendation for a “do it all” tire...

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks! My hope over the short run is to maybe run two sets of tires and keep the DuraTracs for winter. That is unless someone has a good recommendation for a “do it all” tire...

A year round tire up here depends on where you live and how icy the streets get. Where I live, I have to run a dedicated studded winter tire. There isn’t a year-round tire out there that can handle the dangerous ice rink my roads turn into without tire chains, and on/offing tire chains every day isn’t any fun.

If you live somewhere that the Duratracs can handle, keeping them as a winter tire is an ok plan.

If you plan to off-road the truck, 33s are going to hold you back up here. The state is full of smaller vehicles on 35s through 40s with smaller axles. The trails get rutted badly, and you’ll be high centering on the diff housings a lot. The bigger the tire you can get, the less winching you’ll have to do. I’m on 35” winter and summer tires. My plan was to switch to a 37” MT summer tire and keep the winter 35s for chain clearance, but given how well the tires performed this winter I may sell them and the chains and go to 37” winter and summer tires.

[Edit] PS, my blanket advice to any new PW owner with off-roading aspirations is to ditch the Duratracs and sell them to a Jeep/Toyota owner with as much tread left as possible. If you want to do winter wheeling, that advice holds up because broken ice will take out a Duratrac sidewall just as easily as rock.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

In my opinion there really isnt a do it all tire... not one that does it all super well anyway. However, there are tons of tires which do it all fairly adequately, they just wont do everything to perfection.

Looks like the fam is enjoying the new rig, congrats! My wife and I chuckled pretty good at the pic of your boy and the screwdriver lol.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Pitbull PBX A/T is 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated, 3 ply carcass, and Load Range E.

https://pitbulltires.com/products/pit-bull-pbx-a-t-hardcore-lt-radial

I haven't run them, haven't even seen one, and availability outside of a delivery company to get them here is limited to nonexistent. Due to having mud during Spring season I prefer to run a tire with more open void between the tread blocks and larger lugs than this type of design.

Last edited:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Awesome photos and story! Welcome aboard!

Living in Alaska is a dream of mine...but alas...I'll have to just visit there sometime.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Fog light bracket is from Baja Designs. Super simple install.

Can you snap some pics of your a pillar mount too? Those look great!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OP
OP
Gremlin4x

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Can you snap some pics of your a pillar mount too? Those look great!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30
View media item 27238View media item 27237View media item 27236Install is relatively straight forward. It uses factory mounting points so no holes to drill. There is some plastic trimming required around the cowling but nothing cosmic.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Still can't see the photos on Tapatalk app. Might have to jump on the website to see these with some of the upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk