Ground issues..i think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Umbali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 95 Ram 5.9.

I have a few different things going on. Pretty sure I have a grounding issues due to intermittent moments where truck is just dead. So I am going to try and replace all the ground cables. I know one is to the frame, one to the block and 1 to the alternator. So once I do that i guess my question is could that issue contribute to my problems with my hazards and blinkers and brake lights?

If I put my hazards on they just light up and dont flash. The blinkers ONLY work if the hazard switch is on. The brakes lights arent working at all. I have changed all bulbs and the multifunction switch and the 2 flashers.

Could it be worth trying another switch or flashers just to make sure one of the ones I bought isnt bad?
Could the big 3 grounds affect this?

Thanks for any help.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A bad ground will cause all sorts of issues, including the hazards. Like all repairs, start at one end and work your way through. Once you are sure you have good grounds, and the truck is no longer intermittently dead see if your hazard flasher issues still exist. If they do it could be something as simple as needing a new flasher unit, but at least you know it isn't the ground causing the problem.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don’t be afraid to be redundant with the grounds ,IMO you can’t have to many.

OP
OP
U

Umbali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the replies. Any suggestions on ground locations if I move them? It appears on is on the power steering pump. The other I can tell it goes to the fender. The one from that fuse box looks like it runs to the alternator. On the other side of the engine over where that evaporator ( i think thats what it is ) but in the area of the things I disconnected when changing the heater core last year, Is a ground wire about 18 inches long attacked to the cab but no where else. Any thoughts on where that used to go? It could reach the alternator based on its length

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you replace all of those cables, you might just try cleaning up their contact points with some sandpaper and reinstalling them nice and snug. Body grounds (frequently somewhere on or near the firewall) can often cause crazy lighting issues. Make sure you don’t forget to check out the one on the starter, too.

OP
OP
U

Umbali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. Update. So today I had time and I took the negative terminal off the battery. I took off the 2 main ground wires that run to the clamp. I cleaned everything. Now my Hazards work when the button is up. The blinkers work when the button is down, however the tail lights stay on if the hazard switch is down. The brake lights still dont work. I found one of the connections to the license plate bulbs was corroded and bulb was busted so ill fix that. Surely that couldnt affect all this I would think.

Tomorrow I plan to buy a new multifunction switch and new flashers and fuses just to check that out. I also didnt trace any other grounds yet so I guess Ill do that as well. This is hard when your arent a car guy and kind of an idiot lol.

I also noticed the positive cable clamp to batter needs a good cleaning too.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Keep cleaning every connection u can find. You will be amazed at how many times corrosion causes multiple problems. Put some dielectric grease on grounds and connections. Once you have all thos cleaned up, only then start replacing parts.