Ground Straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Been on a bunch of parts sites and no one seems to list ground straps, unless maybe a different name for them?

I think I need 3 for my engine... but not sure what length I need to get or size of hole.

I've been having a bunch of red lightning bolt issues, and I've changed the throttle body and APPS, but someone popped up saying they replaced the engine grounding straps and it worked. Mine I know are bad... under where the oil goes in the summer I could see tiny sparks when the engine was running, and after I shut the engine off I looked and looks like a small 1/2" chunk of grounding strap there so, the strap must've broke at some time.

Are these easy to access?

Any idea what size I need?

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got mine from rock auto they have pictures of all of them. I needed the one that went from both heads to the firewall. They had it

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you found what you need. Rock Auto is a great site! :)

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Your local auto parts store doesn't have ground straps? Last time I went to O'Reilly Auto, they had universal ground straps on their DORMAN rack.

Something like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tive-truck-2003-dodge-ram-1500?q=ground&pos=3
Maybe... if we had one. :D

I'm in Canada and live middle of nowhere so have to order online. Canadian parts stores when I search never seem to list grounding straps which is why I was going to order off Amazon or eBay, but can't find a length. Someone said 24" with 1/4" connections.

Weird, because usually I just type something like "ram 1500 ground straps" into eBay and I'd get matches... but nope. Wasn't getting anything. Figured maybe something mechanics just cut to length as needed.

That said, the link shows 15" which is 9" shorter than what the other person told me so, no idea who is correct.

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm in Canada and live middle of nowhere so have to order online. Canadian parts stores when I search never seem to list grounding straps which is why I was going to order off Amazon or eBay, but can't find a length. Someone said 24" with 1/4" connections.

Weird, because usually I just type something like "ram 1500 ground straps" into eBay and I'd get matches... but nope. Wasn't getting anything. Figured maybe something mechanics just cut to length as needed.

That said, the link shows 15" which is 9" shorter than what the other person told me so, no idea who is correct.
My 2004 has a strap from the valve cover bolt to the intake bolt on each side that are about 3 or so inches long. The one on the passenger side is under where the oil goes in. Couldn't find them anywhere except the dealer and those were outrageously priced so I ordered the 2 from Rockauto that go from head to firewall and are about 5 or so inches long and they worked fine.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine

Just use some 10-14 gauge wire and ring terminals and make them yourself.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just use some 10-14 gauge wire and ring terminals and make them yourself.
May have to... in Canada and truck is under a good 8" snow right now, plus a few health issues, gonna have to wait until spring. I hoped to just hop onto Amazon/eBay or whatever and order some so when able to I can go out and maybe finally fix this thing but, not happening. I just assumed a few people would know exactly what's needed.

1/4" rings? I assume?

Truck's been sorta dead since Oct 2020... red lightning bolt. Someone popped up in another forum and said had the same issues as me and this fixed it when nothing else would, so, kinda the last attempt to fix this since the local Dodge dealer was 0 help.