Halogens? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hallmarc47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this may not be the popular look at the headlight issue. But I'd like to see those seriously bright white headlight outlawed. Who really likes to looked into the oncoming truck and be blinded. And when the lowered fog/running lights are the same, it is terrible. It looks like the driver has the headlights on bright and won't dim them. And, if the LED's are coming from China, it is more of a reason to avoid them. My regular headlights are just fine for me to see on the rural roads I drive. This is from a Ram 1500 owner who is a Boomer.

SteveBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I changed my 2012 Honda CRV to LED and it made a huge difference. My wife wouldn’t drive at night before, now she loves it.
I would like to add LED to my 2022 Bighorn but It looks like I’d have to dismantle the entire front end. If anyone finds an easy way to replace them, let me know.

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As you pointed out, your truck is a Classic version and the headlights are still the same what went on the Gen4 (DS) body truck starting back in 2009 then revamped in 2013. LED headlights were not an option available on the 2013-18 trucks, no redesign happened for the Classics (that's why they're cheaper than a Gen5 (DT) body).

They still offer halogens in the 5th gens.....

1684168745168.png

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You can get them in the Big Horn and Tradesman.

They are now offering a "front lighting value package" for the Laramie that downgrades you to halogen headlights with a discount of $495.

I said I'd never have LEDs until I had them...now I'll never go back. I actually find the 5K white to provide great clarity at night.

4 years with my RAM and never had one headlight issue. Granted it's a gamble since each light/housing is about $1000 but that's why I had an extended warranty so the replacement cost potential was only $100.

This is only for OEM systems. I will never retrofit anything but whatever came with the car/truck. Too many potential issues for quality, fitment, illumination, and interference as has been mentioned.

Ondgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Some people like myself like halogen. I don’t mind the full LED tail lights but I don’t like the ones that look like a million little separate lights. I also don’t like the “light throw” that LED’s put off for headlights. I personally see things better at night with halogen but that’s just me.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha! Are LED's that much better? Don't believe I have ever owned a vehicle with LED's or even ridden in one at night. Was not until I drove my father to work one day. Still dark outside. He he asked me if my headlights were on and if so they suck.
LEDs are so much better

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever price a replacement LED headlight assembly? In order to charge you more for the option, the part has to have a higher retail...Not necessarily a higher production cost. Those LED ASSEMBLIES are not bulbs...And they cost so much your **** will pucker when you have to replace them.
I have an early build DT truck (April 2018) (low end, low optioned Bighorn), which when they first came out were equipped with reflector LED's assemblies on front and LED rear (not interior and not CHMSL). Later on in the build that option went away and you had to go way up in trim to get LED Option, or maybe specifically order that way. I enjoy the LED's and personally, will not buy another vehicle without the LED'S. It was a real bugger to change out the interior to LED's though. Just my personal preference for lighting now.

PRICEY: Well, I had a cracked LR tail light assembly. Under warranty, it was over $535.00 to get unit ordered and replaced. Not know how much the front light assemblies go for, but U have to replace the whole unit, so definitely not a fun thing to have and pony up the $$$$, I was lucky, under warranty.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They still offer halogens in the 5th gens.....

View attachment 521289
YUP, on the lower trims. U have to pony up the $$$$ to a much higher trim to get LED's, they only offered the LED's in the lower trims when the DT's 1st came out.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I remember when halogens seemed like the whitest light ever. They were considered far superior than incandescents. Now LED’s rule the night.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Looks like the reflector OEM headlamps are around $1000 MSRP.

It took me awhile to get used to the cutoff, but once I did I'll never go back.

Every now and then I drive my wife's Ranger (halogen headlights) at night and, even though the light throw is higher, there's no comparison IMO.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I think some people think of Chinesium aftermarket ebay trash when thinking of LED headlights. The OEM stuff, especially with bending lenses, is so ridiculously better than halogens it's not even in the same league. Claiming halogens let you see more is like saying candles in front of polished brass let you see better because fire is more natural light. Well designed HIDs or LEDs let you see better and further without blinding oncoming traffic. Well designed and cheap aftermarket junk may not match up that much, though.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't notice one reference to bi-xenon lights. In descending order of performance of vehicles I've owned:

Not "headlights" per se - but I had KC "not legal for highway use" lights on my '79 Chevy P/U. They were halogen and by far (if memory serves well, which it may not, 40 years later) the most incredible lights I've ever had the privilege of using.

Okedoke, on to actual headlights.
1. 2009 MB CLS 550 with stock bi-xenons
2. 2015 RAM with Retroshop Morimoto bi-xenon projector upgrade
3. 2006 Porsche Boxster with stock bi-xenons
4. 2020 RAM Laramie with LEDs
5. (actually didn't own, but drove my Dad's) 2008 or so Corolla with stock halogens

I'm just guessing, but LED is just the latest thing, plus it costs less to produce, so the automakers have substituted Bi-Xenon with LED so they can make more money.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't notice one reference to bi-xenon lights. In descending order of performance of vehicles I've owned:

Not "headlights" per se - but I had KC "not legal for highway use" lights on my '79 Chevy P/U. They were halogen and by far (if memory serves well, which it may not, 40 years later) the most incredible lights I've ever had the privilege of using.

Okedoke, on to actual headlights.
1. 2009 MB CLS 550 with stock bi-xenons
2. 2015 RAM with Retroshop Morimoto bi-xenon projector upgrade
3. 2006 Porsche Boxster with stock bi-xenons
4. 2020 RAM Laramie with LEDs
5. (actually didn't own, but drove my Dad's) 2008 or so Corolla with stock halogens

I'm just guessing, but LED is just the latest thing, plus it costs less to produce, so the automakers have substituted Bi-Xenon with LED so they can make more money.

Every industry is exploiting the financial opportunities with LED.

Look at the price of household LED lights compared to incandescent.

The same thing is happening in the dive industry with underwater lights for scuba.

HID was the standard with tech diving and now LED has replaced them, mostly.

The cost of producing HID dive lights must be logarithmically higher yet LED tech lights are still being sold for much more money.

Give it another 5 or 10 years and maybe, after manufacturing has completely abandoned incandescent & halogen production. :cool:

Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a boomer, but I'm going to sound like one here.

Most LED headlamps are in too high of a color range to be effective for good vision. Sure, they're bright AF and light things up like almost to the point of needing sunglasses at night, but the color temperature on the Kelvin scale of 5k to 6k washes the definition out. The bright white/slightly bluish light sells, so that's what is manufactured, but the slightly yellowish and lower on the Kelvin scale at around 3k-3.5k is what is more effective.

The best lighting of any vehicle I've been in was a 2014 Subaru with OEM halogens. If I ever have a vehicle with LED lighting, I'll probably be replacing the bulbs that come with it with some 3,000 to 4,000 Kelvin temp ones. On a separate note, I hate the hard cutoff lines that LED headlamps have, both as a driver and as the unlucky person driving towards them.

Now, get off my lawn you kids!
What makes you think they are all that color range? The white light sith sometimes blue hue?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this may not be the popular look at the headlight issue. But I'd like to see those seriously bright white headlight outlawed. Who really likes to looked into the oncoming truck and be blinded. And when the lowered fog/running lights are the same, it is terrible. It looks like the driver has the headlights on bright and won't dim them. And, if the LED's are coming from China, it is more of a reason to avoid them. My regular headlights are just fine for me to see on the rural roads I drive. This is from a Ram 1500 owner who is a Boomer.
Your clearly don’t have quads like I do they are crap. My Hikari fog lights are brighter then my headlights.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most LED headlamps are in too high of a color range to be effective for good vision. Sure, they're bright AF and light things up like almost to the point of needing sunglasses at night, but the color temperature on the Kelvin scale of 5k to 6k washes the definition out. The bright white/slightly bluish light sells, so that's what is manufactured, but the slightly yellowish and lower on the Kelvin scale at around 3k-3.5k is what is more effective.

The best lighting of any vehicle I've been in was a 2014 Subaru with OEM halogens. If I ever have a vehicle with LED lighting, I'll probably be replacing the bulbs that come with it with some 3,000 to 4,000 Kelvin temp ones. On a separate note, I hate the hard cutoff lines that LED headlamps have, both as a driver and as the unlucky person driving towards them.

Now, get off my lawn you kids!

The Pro/Con guys can probably argue round and round on this one. Yeah, I'm surprised your tk also has halogens. There's a lot written on light color effects on the eye/body. White light (into the 'blue' spectrum) is fatiguing on longer night drives. But yeah, if LEDs are the right color temp...that's a win/win. Most that I've seen & driven seem awfully 'white'. Probably not much fatigue on short drives. Depends how a guy drives. I just wish they could come up with plastic housings which could last longer w/o getting foggy.

Best vehicle light I've ever had is an 89 Land Rover Discovery. Those LARGE housings made of crystal-clear glass really threw the light!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Most OEM LEDs are around 5500K which is pure white and most aftermarket is around 6K which is cool white (bluish tinge). Halogens are a much lower color temperature in the warm white range (hence the yellow appearance when compared to LED).

Depends on what you read but the pure white is a good balance between performance and appearance and cool white is what the majority of consumers purchase as replacements.