Hard shifting in Tow/Haul 68RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I've got a 2014 2500 with the 68RFE. I replaced the valve body with a revmax unit, and the truck has a tuner on it, which includes transmission tunes.

Driving around normally, I have no problems.
When I put it in tow/haul mode, it holds 3rd gear for what feels too long, and the slams into 4th really hard. I tried babying the throttle before it shifts, but it still happens.

Is there something that can be done on the re-learn to help the tow/haul shift points?

The trans tune is 4th gear TC lock normally, but 2nd gear TC lockup in tow/haul.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Your tune sounds like my Anarchy tune. The 3rd to 4th is a weird one because the overdrive clutch hub comes in along with the underdrive. Best thing you can do is determine what speed your tune generally shifts into each gear and true to let off the throttle a bit to make the shift feel softer.

I run my Hardway tune all the time now specifically because of the hard shifting and too high of shift points of the Anarchy tune.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nothing you can do, it's the way the tune was written. I don't suppose you got the tuner and other tunes when you bought the truck? If you did you could try a different tune but most people that buy second hand tuned trucks never get the hardware and tunes with it.

Either way, be careful or you are going to end up with a broken input shaft....

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
It's not Anarchy, and I added the tuner myself, so I have all of the hardware, and a handful of tunes from a company.

I've had some odd shifting in the past, I would re-flash the tune, and then do the transmission re-learn procedure, and everything is fine for a while. This is the first time I've had it shift like this before though.

I'll re-flash it or quicklearn on the transmission and go through the steps in the next day or so, I was just curious if there was anything that could be done while learning. I'd like to know if anything would change if tow/haul was turned on during a quick learn, or when driving it during the learning phase after re-flashing.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
What if you turn tow/haul off?

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
What if you turn tow/haul off?
It shifts just fine with it off. Only does this with tow/haul on.
I'm trying to figure out what to do, as I'm pulling my travel trailer this weekend, and don't want the hard shifting.
All of the quick learn or driving relearn says not to tow for 200 miles or more. I don't have the time for that right now.