Hard Top Folding Tonneau Cover Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nhaymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Everyone!

I currently have a hard top Tonneau Cover it was from a past owner. It’s seen better days and have wanted to do some of my own repair work. Recently the second lever bar came off the top you can see in the first two pictures. I tried to glue it back into place with silicone, however that didn’t work at all. Has anyone ever had this happen? What is the fix for this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_6112.jpeg
    IMG_6112.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6114.jpeg
    IMG_6114.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 10

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Short of drilling holes and inserting stainless bolts through from outside with nuts on inside I doubt anything else will hold it in place.

OP
OP
N

Nhaymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s what I was hoping not to hear. As I don’t know how drilling holes in this material will work. It seems like it might get very weak over use and eventually be too much pressure for the cover.

I appreciate your response!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone!

I currently have a hard top Tonneau Cover it was from a past owner. It’s seen better days and have wanted to do some of my own repair work. Recently the second lever bar came off the top you can see in the first two pictures. I tried to glue it back into place with silicone, however that didn’t work at all. Has anyone ever had this happen? What is the fix for this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I would investigate using an industrial adhesive, cold temperatures will be the biggest challenge in your area. Silicone sealant, while it remains flexible, has almost no strength.

I would look for and try a good adhesive before using the bolt-on option.

If you do go the bolt-on route, there are options to consider.

You can buy flat-stock aluminum and SS hardware from CTC or other places.
Use the flat stock on top, and use large flat washers under the bolt heads, a round-head internal hex might work well.

Keep the bolt lengths short and use SS aircraft nuts with wide flat washers on the inside.
And, use extreme caution while torquing the bolts or the fibreglass will crack.

Drilling through fibreglass is pretty easy. Lots of smaller pilot holes and almost no pressure on the drill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441