Hayes-Kelsey brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1mudgripp2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi All,
I put a Hayes Synchronizer brake controller on my 2015 ram. It worked good with one axle for 10 yrs. Now, i put new brakes on both trailer axles, and it wont skid the tires, even emply on wet grass, but they DO energize. I have 14 volts at rear bumper, but only 10 volts at the brakes..so, I see that its fed under the dash with a 14 or 16 ga. wire from the battery.. Hayes says to use #12 ga to all the brakes, so I did, and I have a #10 wire for all the grounds. Do I need a #12 from the battery to supply the controller?? Thanks

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You probably need to adjust the gain, or potentially have a ground issue. Not really sure.

It also isn't good to skid your trailer tires - leads to flat spots that likely never will go away.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have 14 VDC at the bumper, but only 10 VDC at the brakes, I would be looking at the trailer wiring, especially all the grounds, splices and the harness / plug itself.
Check the and see if the trailer plug on the truck grounded really well?

The 14 VDC should be at the brakes, if it is there at the bumper.