HBS Level Kit Install Failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was followign the instructions and everything was going well until i got to the step where you pull out the strut assembly. I just coudl not get it to clear the upper tower. And it wasn;t even close. I could feel up there with my finger and tell I was a good 1-1.25 inches short. Realizing even if I coudl pop it out somehow, how could I realistically get it back in with the additional length of the level kit. I ended up just putting everything back together and I will either try again another day or have somebody do it for me. Does anybody have any tips? I am a novice mechanic (at 41 no less). Just taking auto mechanics as a hobby, so I could have missed something. Maybe I could have pulled down on that lower arm more to get the assembly to clear, but I was afraid I may have done something wrong. At that point I thought it best to button it up and seek some advice.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We had a helluva time putting mine in. I think we ended up unbolting the sway bar and that let it drop down a little more. It was still a PITA to get in and out. You have to be careful because the brake lines will be stretched to the max. I tried using a coil spring compressor to put them back in, but that didn't really work as it just got in the way.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
you need coil compressors, and then you still have to use a prybar to get it back in.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did mine solo with no compressors, there isn't really room for compressors when the assembly is still in the truck. It is a bear, but once you have the sway bar off, and all the other components unbolted and free, use your foot to put as much downward pressure on the lower control arm as you can, even easier if someone is helping. It will come out an go back in without much effort. Just keep an eye on the brake line.

There are also videos online you can watch. Best of luck :) You will get it.

Last edited:

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unbolt sway bar. Then a prybar.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
When I did it on my last truck I unbolted the upper A arms and the brake calipers

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I did mine solo with no compressors, there isn't really room for compressors when the assembly is still in the truck. It is a bear, but once you have the sway bar off, and all the other components unbolted and free, use your foot to put as much downward pressure on the lower control arm as you can, even easier if someone is helping. It will come out an go back in without much effort. Just keep an eye on the brake line.

This is the method I followed as well when installing the Bilsteins. I had to practically stand on the lower control arm to get it back in.

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did mine a week ago or so. I disconnected the sway bar and had to take off the caliper because the brake lines were tight. I had my brother there to help push down on the lower control arm so i could get it back in. It was still a PITA and we've been wrenching on cars for years.

OP
OP
Souths1der

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replys guys. You've confirmed what I thought this AM when I tried to do this myself, which is that it is beyond my capabilites after all.

Now my question is, what do I look for in a shop to do this type of work? I've only really ever had dealers do warranty work, so I'm out of element when trying to find a good shop to do this type of work.

I'm in the SW suburbs of Chicago. If anybody knows of a shop around Chicago that is good and they recommend I would appreciate it.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I had never done a lift like that one before and trust me it's really not that hard. A good size pry bar and a helper you can get it done yourself

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where about in the SW burbs? I'm in Elgin area and always willing to lend a helping hand if I can.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I almost mentioned argray as I knew he was in the Chicago area. Didn't want to volunteer him for work though. Lol

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a shop do it, just look for a good tire and alignment place. Any place that installs new shocks/struts should be able to install spacers. Then you could have it aligned while its there.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
need a pry bar and a fat kid... place the pry bar in the lower a arm, place fat kid on pry bar, he may have to jiggle a little to stuff hte strut back in.

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to unbolt everything and she should slip in.

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im after putting in 5 now i unbolts the caliper, bungie cords it up, unbolt sway bar links, let go of the knuckle on the control arm,disconnect tie rod end and disconnect strut bolts. then i got a 5 foot peice of pipe i slips in the lower control arm with the long pipe it takes little effort to pry everything down and then you just need a assistant mechanic in my case my neighbors kid or my girlfriend haha to just wiggle it out , same thing putting it back in, you may have to use pry bars to help u wiggle the bottom bolt threw the strut, that one gives me a little bit of trouble sometimes, cheers! once its done youl think "wow that was easy!" trust me sir you got this :). then go have a beer

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You are probably two bolts short of completion lol (are you sure the ARB bolts cleared the control arms?). I didn't use a spring compressor, or anything, just had a buddy put his foot on the LCA when I slipped the strut back in.

You already did all the work then put it back together lol. Time for round 2!