Header Wrap on Dipstick Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrLizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I just recently installed some shorty headers ok n my 2017 ram 1500 with 5.7 liter, they are BBK silver ceramic coated. So far they have worked out well, performance had increased slightly, exhaust note is a bit different, its more....lopey? At idle, but there is one issue that is making me really uneasy. The dipstick tube was supposed to go back in without touching the headers, but it's touching them after I got it reinstalled. I know the tube is metal so it's not like it will melt, but I'm really worried about how hot it's getting inside the tube, I pulled the dip stick earlier today and it was really hot and there was a smell of almost burning coming from inside, and I'm certain touching the metal part of the stick would have burned the **** out of my hands. I was hoping because its ceramic coated it wouldnt be an issue but it seems like it might be.

I think the long term solution would be to take it to a fab shop and have them make a dipstip tube that routes around everything properly, but I was thinking in the mean time I could get some header wrap and a put a couple of wraps on the dip stick and around the header where its touching to reduce the heat being transmitted into the tube since it would be the wrap touching and not direct contact. There is a 15 foot roll of DEI titanium heat wrap on amazon for like 20 bucks I'm thinking of getting, but I wanted to ask two questions before it get it.

1. Do you think it will make a difference?

2. If yes them should I go with titanium or with the fiberglass one? Keep in mind the goal of this is not to wrap the entire header but just that one problem area to try and cool down the dipstick

On another note I noticed an increase in the under hood temps, is this normal with headers versus the manifolds, I would imagine so because the stock heat shield is gone, and I would think cast iron would stay cooler than the material of the new headers, but again, want to be sure as the difference was pretty noticable when I opening the hood while it was running.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You need to bend it more to clear the primary, pinching it will burn through the wrap eventually and cause your knock sensors to pull timing.

OP
OP
M

MrLizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to bend it more to clear the primary, pinching it will burn through the wrap eventually and cause your knock sensors to pull timing.

What would you recommend to bend it? A small tubing bender or some pliers? I tried using pliers when I put it back on but it was starting to crush the tube. Or just my knee and some elbow grease

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Hold both sides of the dipstick with each hand and lightly pinch while pulling away from the primary until you feel it bend.

Takes a bit of muscle control and not just He-man strength.

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The tube and dip stick would give you a different reading if you made a new one, maybe a tubing bender they have all sizes might help.Harbor freight should have a cheap one,also you might have to extend a mounting bracket after you bend the tubing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrLizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great. Thanks, sounds much simpler than I originally anticipated. How far away should it be? It's pretty close to the steering shaft right now so I domt have much wiggle room. Would you still recommend wrapping the dipstick tube slightly for further protection? Or should it be fine once it's not touching anymore.

OP
OP
M

MrLizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That makes sense madtrucker, I had though about that as well after I posted that. I wonder if I got a longer bolt for the header where it attaches and used a spacer for the upper bracket if it would help any. Either I'm gonna try hand bending it after work today and see how that goes.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The spacer/bolt should have been included with the headers for the upper front mounting point. It’s 50-60mm length under the head and spacer is ~3/4”. You’re definitely going to have trouble clearing without it.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes sense madtrucker, I had though about that as well after I posted that. I wonder if I got a longer bolt for the header where it attaches and used a spacer for the upper bracket if it would help any. Either I'm gonna try hand bending it after work today and see how that goes.
Be very careful trying to hand bend the tubing ,you could crease the tubing and then you got to spend some money. That is why it,s better to use a tubing bender ,the one I have came from Auto Zone