Headlight condensation fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike0565

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that this has been covered before but I'm experiencing this in my 2016 Laramie 1500. I'm going to take the housings out in a couple of weeks when I'm on vacation and was wondering if adjusting the three vents in the back will resolve the issue. Also while i have them out, should I reseal where the lens meets the housings? The drivers side is extremely noticable, but now I am starting to see it forming on the passenger side. Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the resealing part but once you get them dried out pull the little caps out as far as they'll go without them coming off and they should stay dry inside after that. I had the same problem with my previous RAM and it hasn't happened since and its been over two years. I sold it to a friend of mine back in the spring of 2017 and its still dry every time I see it.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure about the resealing part but once you get them dried out pull the little caps out as far as they'll go without them coming off and they should stay dry inside after that. I had the same problem with my previous RAM and it hasn't happened since and its been over two years. I sold it to a friend of mine back in the spring of 2017 and its still dry every time I see it.

Anyone have pics of the vents ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mike0565

Mike0565

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope these vents cure my problem. Thanks.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an idea ... and so far it’s worked on my truck .... I have a set of retrofitted quad lamps and I would get some condensation in my drivers side light . It’s been take out and resealed but still would get some ... once truck would warm up it’d cause the moisture in light to condensate fogging up 1/4-1/3 of my light housing .

So I did an experiment . I taped my access door filled closed after I disengaged my turn signal harness just enough to let a little bit of air circulate thru housing. And voila ! No fogging ... anyone else try this?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I did an experiment . I taped my access door filled closed after I disengaged my turn signal harness just enough to let a little bit of air circulate thru housing. And voila ! No fogging ... anyone else try this?

You did what???

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP, when you take them out seal the seam between the lense and housings with clear silicone.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You did what???

The turn signal bulb socket locks into the headlight housing ..... it twists and locks in.... I leave it in but “untwist” it so it’s still in the housing but not locked in... it leaves a small gap allowing air to get into the housing. It’s kept it crystal clear so far.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a pic of the vents on the back of a factory projector headlight so if you have quads they may be slightly different.

View attachment 149406

How do those vents work? They are on my quad lamps but how do they open or close for adjustment.

OP
OP
Mike0565

Mike0565

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I finally got around to pulling my driver's side headlight housing. After I pulled it out I dried it out completely. I resealed where the clear lens meets the housing with clear dap caulk and pulled the vent plugs so they're barely on. Then when I installed the bulbs, I used Teflon tape, and wrapped it around twice where it seats into the hole.
So far so good. The weather here in NY yesterday was in the high 40's with rain. Today it was about 50° with no rain. 36° right now and just checked it. No condensation as of yet. I'll have to see as the weather gets colder overnight.

Reactions: JB1