Headlight opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im in a bit of a dilema, cant decide between black tyc projectors with hid's or retro my quads with mini h1's, the quads i would paint to match the truck too and if i chose quads theres the extra debate of doing my stockers or getting tycs to do for less downtime

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im in a bit of a dilema, cant decide between black tyc projectors with hid's or retro my quads with mini h1's, the quads i would paint to match the truck too and if i chose quads theres the extra debate of doing my stockers or getting tycs to do for less downtime

going by my own experience, i had tyc projectors with morimotos and was pleased with them....for about a year. i got bored with the look and just recently sold them and going a different route. tyc makes a great reproduction, are HID friendly and they perform better than OE, IMHO

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You could probably knock out the quads on a long weekend. It would be cheaper. I think your light output will be similar if you ran Mini H1 in the quad vs FX-R in the TYC's. You will be better off retro'ing the quad opposed to dropping an HID kit into the TYC.

Ebay should be able to help find a temp headlight if you need. Or you can grab some OEM or TYC projectors for a couple hundred more. Whatever you do, you will likely need a relay harness as well. JJ at retroshop.us can hook you up. Also if you add TYC projectors to a quad based truck you will have an additional adapter to buy ($135?)

Using your quads, you might spend $250 for parts and paint? Getting TYC...300-450 for the projectors, $300 for the HID kit/FX-R and harness, plus $135 for the adapter.

Rough estimates of course. Opening those TYC projectors aint easy.

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya ive delt plenty with hids in these things, no issues with the harnesses, and opened a few sets of stockers, tyc's are said to be easier then oem although if i went tyc projectors i wouldnt do a fxr retro for quite a while due to the extra cost, i like the looks of the tyc/factory projectors better but a real retro in the quads would yield better lighting results for now

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Basically dileme is go for tyc projectors with hids in em to have a more modern look with the led signals and have effective lighting and retro later on or the more dated quads but have top notch lighting now