Headlights are dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ole80grit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2001 2500 and drove it at night for the first time tonight. My headlights were so dim on low beam could hardly see anything and had to drive with high beams on which seemed almost as bright as low beams. Also the high beam indicator stayed on for both low and high beams. Anyone run into this problem with theirs? Or have a suggestion on where to start looking into problem?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start by making sure the headlight lenses aren't yellowed or faded and then I'd check the charging system to make sure the alternator is working correctly.

OP
OP
ole80grit

ole80grit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found the problem. Its a sport and someone replaced the headlight housings with a single bulb housing. They didn't change the wiring and used the wrong 9004 bulbs with it. I ended up changing the pins around and got the headlights working right but low beams still don't throw much lights out. Just going to change the headlight housings back to the two bulb lights in the near future.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my yellow oxidized Sport headlights with a brand new set of aftermarket ones (look just like factory) and they were about $150 for the pair. Like cataract surgery for my truck. Really freshened up the appearance and much brighter again. Also, I run Silverstar bulbs. They’re the brightest halogen bulbs you can readily buy. Good to keep a spare handy though, because they don’t tend to last as long as factory ones.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Seconded on the sport headlights. I went through just about every headlight configuration I could think of on my 94. 3 different housing types with led, hid, and silverstar bulbs and they all sucked. I finally went all out with sport headlights with wiring adapters (mine came with the standard single bulb lights) and hid's in all 4 holes and like magic I can see everything. I waited on this setup for a while because I thought for sure they would be too bright but to my surprise the cut off is fine and I haven't been flashed at all so far.