Help! Accelerator sensor replacement on the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
hey guys-
Just looking for preparation advice. We are on a trip from Michigan to Washington’s state, and yesterday my truck hesitated a little pulling into gas station, then in a traffic jam the accelerator pedal was barely working.
I have a Smarty programmer and read codes, came back as accelerator pedal sensor - low supply only at first. Reset and tried to keep going and wouldnsometimes throw that and APPS sensor. Luckily we found a campground with an opening, and ordered the pedal sensor assembly from advance Auto - it’ll be here Tuesday.
Looks like just 2 bolts and a harness to swap, but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I should prepare for. I saw on earlier trucks there’s a separate APPS sensor, but saw a video on a newer truck that you can reset the APPS by cycling key to on, slowly pressing pedal down and releasing and then cycle key to off. Is this correct to reset the APPS for
my truck?
Just trying to be prepared if there’s anything I should know about.
Truck is a 2005 Cummins Quad Cab.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited: